From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] External HD to work with Gentoo and Vista.
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:26:50
1 On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 8:17 PM, Tom <uebershark@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >> In recent kernels there is also direct writable support (stable, not
3 >> experimental support) for NTFS without having to use NTFS-3G/FUSE.
4 >
5 > Really??
6 >
7 > Just how recent do you mean?
8 > Is it reliable? Are there any constraints left, such has 'only
9 > overwriting files the same size' and such show-stoppers?
10 >
11 > To make my question really clear: IS IT READY FOR DAILY USE??
12 >
13 > If so, I love you, and want your babys Ben, for letting me know... ;)
14 >
15 > Tom
16
17 If you mount using the userspace tools, yes it is ready for daily use
18 :) The kernel driver still has limitations like, IIRC, being unable to
19 create/rename/delete directories, and some other basic things like
20 that.
21
22 Using the FUSE tools from the classical NTFS driver you can do those
23 things and the rest, but I think NTFS-3G is generally considered
24 better. Most of the big distros use NTFS-3G as their default NTFS
25 driver (as do I <g>)
26
27 For more NTFS info than you ever wanted, check out www.linux-ntfs.org
28 for the classic kernel driver and www.ntfs-3g.org for the newer