From: "Juan Fco. Giordana" <juangiordana@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Dual gigabit Intel NICs problem.
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 16:21:19
1 Thank you both for you answers.
2
3 Bob Sanders wrote:
4 > It doesn't matter what the LED is saying there is no link detected. It
5 > seems the phy on eth1 is good but the path from the phy to the
6 > ethernet chip is bad.
7
8 Bob, what is strange is that regardless the LED status, ethtool says
9 that on server1 the link has not been detected and on server2 it says
10 the contrary.
11
12 eth1 on server1 -> Link detected: no
13 eth1 on server2 -> Link detected: yes
14
15 Also other noticeable differences:
16
17 eth1 on server1 ->
18 Supported ports: [ TP ]
19 Port: Twisted Pair
20
21 eth1 on server2 ->
22 Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
23 Port: MII
24
25 I'm not sure what you mean with the PHY on the ethernet device so I'm
26 taking a look to the Ethernet howto to get a clue.
27
28 Also, just to try something on server2:
29
30 # ethtool -s eth1 speed 100 duplex full port tp
31 Cannot set new settings: Invalid argument
32 not setting speed
33 not setting duplex
34 not setting port
35
36 > Server two is working, only that should be running the EEPro100 driver,
37 > not the e1000e driver.
38
39 Sorry for not mentioning this. I was taking this server out of the
40 equation since it was reporting that everything was working.
41
42 The driver this server was using was e100. I've just recompiled the
43 kernel and switched to the eepro100 driver. I didn't know that two
44 drivers for the same adapter could be found on the same kernel.
45
46 If I understood well the eepro100 is the open source version of this
47 driver and e100 is the Intel's version.
48
49 > btw - have you had the colo center AC power cycle these systems?
50 > Especially, the first one? And I mean completely remove the AC.
51 >
52 > In some cases, there are areas in the ethernet chip's nvram that
53 > only get initialized when all power is removed. A system reset,
54 > and even a reset/setup by the bios won't clear some locations.
55 >
56 > The updated driver prevents almost all of these issues from
57 > occuring. But they can still, on a few systems, occur.
58
59 Not sure about this. We switched some memory modules recently but I'm
60 not sure if they completely removed the AC cord.
61
62 Also, this could be related since in our first attempt to add more
63 memory to this server the company that sold it to us sent incompatible
64 modules and we have a very weird situation. They added the new modules,
65 found out they were not compatible, plugged back the old ones and when
66 they turned the server on, it hanged on the "Loading initrd ..." stage.
67
68 It was a nightmare. I was using the livecd kernel and that night I had
69 to compile a new one to try "something" to make it work again.
70
71 Finally I got it working and a couple weeks later we upǵraded the memory
72 smoothly.
73
74 I'll see if we can turn both server off tonight.
75
76 Thank you again for your help.