From: Bob Sanders <rsanders@×××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Dual gigabit Intel NICs problem.
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 16:39:00
1 Juan Fco. Giordana, mused, then expounded:
2 > Thank you both for you answers.
5 > I'm not sure what you mean with the PHY on the ethernet device so I'm
6 > taking a look to the Ethernet howto to get a clue.
9 The PHY is the physical layer. It's the chip that converts
10 logice signals to something that can be sent via copper wire
11 or, in other cases, optical fiber.
12
13 Typically, most modern ethernet setups consist of the Ethernet
14 chip - MAC (that has the MAC addr) and a PHY chip. So the PHY
15 chip connects to the RJ45 jack and may sense a carrier and
16 light the LED indicating such. But the interface between
17 the Enthernet chip (MAC) and PHY can also have breakage.
18
19 > Also, just to try something on server2:
20 >
21 > # ethtool -s eth1 speed 100 duplex full port tp
22 > Cannot set new settings: Invalid argument
23 > not setting speed
24 > not setting duplex
25 > not setting port
28 That's odd. Though, it could be the control side of the
29 ethernet chip is not working, but it does auto-sense the
30 ethernet and setup correctly.
31
32 Some defs -
33
34 MAC - Media Access Controller (Ethernet chip).
35 MII - Media Independent Interface. The interface
36 between the MAC and the PHY.
37 PHY - Physical Interface transceiver - connects to the
38 RJ45 jack.
39
40 There's a few pdfs out that there. Searching for - Ethernet MII
41 brought up the one from Electronic Design.
42
43 Bob
44 --
45 -