From: Daiajo Tibdixious <daiajo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] firefox-bin "Save Link As..." does not work
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 06:06:23
1 I had a weird situation on my computer, which ended with a panic, and
2 during that firefox-bin would not save target files consistently, and
3 would actually crash. I'll detail this situation first,
4 in case its relevant. I run stable CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
5
6 Firstly rtorrent crashed with a segment fault. It restarted and worked.
7 The next day firefox-bin would not "save link as", I could navigate
8 to a directory, and on pushing "save" either nothing would happen or
9 firefox would crash.
10
11 I emerged the latest mozilla-firefox-bin without any trouble, but
12 almost every package in world failed MD5 verification on the tarball.
13
14 Realising I had either a file system or hard drive problem, I closed
15 KDE and used the console (as root) to clean up /var/tmp and /home in
16 anticipation of a backup/restore. During this the system
17 panic'd.
18
19 I booted the 2006.0 universal CD and did a "fsck -cfv /dev/hda6" (my
20 large root partition)
21 which reported some multiply chained blocks (nothing critical, part of
22 the portage tree, and something in KDE) , 1 lost file (web cookies) .
23 # grep hda6 /etc/fstab
24 /dev/hda6 / ext3 noatime
25 0 1
26 I'm also puxxled why hda6 is never fsck'd during boot, I though having
27 that last 1 would check it every time.
28
29 After the fsck the system works normally, I emerged system & world
30 with no problems.
31
32 firefox-bin still refuses to save links, but no longer crashes, but
33 after some time idling, it eats all CPU and has to be kill -9'd.
34
35 I'm getting by with Konqueror, however Google Mail is not very nice in
36 this browser.
37 So not a big problem, just worried that it might be symptomatic of
38 something serious.
39 --
40 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list