From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: firefox-bin "Save Link As..." does not work
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 16:09:57
1 "Daiajo Tibdixious" <daiajo@×××××.com> posted
2 a4a9bfcb0606182302x36118a18sf09bb9a2c19e2a04@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Mon, 19 Jun 2006 16:02:57 +1000:
4
5 > # grep hda6 /etc/fstab
6 > /dev/hda6 / ext3 noatime
7 > 0 1
8 > I'm also puxxled why hda6 is never fsck'd during boot, I though having
9 > that last 1 would check it every time.
10
11 That's because it's root, and because it's ext3 -- the journalling changes
12 the way things work a bit and full fscks aren't needed as often. (I run
13 reiserfs, not ext3, so don't know the exact details, but IIRC, ext3 has a
14 counter that will run the fsck every X number of boots, with X tweakable
15 using I believe tunefs.)
16
17 I'd suggest you read up on ext3 if interested. As it happens, Gentoo's
18 own founder Daniel Robbins has one of the better known series comparing
19 the various filesystem types. He wrote it for IBM DeveloperWorks back
20 when 2.4 was new. (Reiserfs at least is much improved since then, with
21 the data=writeback/ordered/journalled choices of ext3, defaulting to
22 ordered. The others will have changed some as well, but probably not as
23 dramatically.) In any case, he explains journalled filesystems quite
24 well, as well as the writeback/ordered/journalled distinction and the
25 series still serves as a very good intro to the various filesystems so
26 it's still well worth reading. I believe Gentoo still links to it in
27 their "Other papers of interest by Gentoo devs" or whatever they call it
28 section, so that's where I'd look.
29
30 > After the fsck the system works normally, I emerged system & world with
31 > no problems.
32 >
33 > firefox-bin still refuses to save links, but no longer crashes, but
34 > after some time idling, it eats all CPU and has to be kill -9'd.
35
36 You may want to verify that you've remerged the 32-bit compatibility
37 libraries that firefox-bin depends on.
38
39 As for why this might be happening, I'd say there's a fair chance your
40 disk is getting ready to die. I'd DEFINITELY recommend getting backups
41 ASAP, if you don't have them, and don't want to lose whatever. Also start
42 thinking about a new disk, altho as long as you are keeping good backups,
43 the disk you have might be fine for awhile, even if it's starting to go.
44 You'll likely just gradually have more and more problems with it.
45
46 Of course, a failing power supply or overheated CPU or memory (you aren't
47 overclocking are you?) could also do it, but aren't generally as
48 catastrophic to lose in terms of data loss as losing a hard drive without
49 backups can be. Depending on the problem, it can still cause crosslinking
50 and the like, so you /can/ lose files, but it's far more likely a file
51 here and a file there than whole sections of the disk as it can be if the
52 disk is the problem (and that's assuming the entire disk doesn't simply
53 die, all at once).
54
55 No matter /what/ it ends up being, I'd be verifying your backups, if you
56 don't want to lose your data. That's for SURE.
57
58 I had a disk overheat last year due to an AC going out -- summers here in
59 Phoenix can be brutal 45C in the ventilated shade, so the AC goes out and
60 the computer room could easily hit 55C, the computer ambient 70C, and the
61 drives... WAYYY too high!!! Now I'm running 4x300 gig Seagate SATAs in
62 RAID, a bit slower, but the best warrantee (5 yr.) and I've got the
63 critical stuff on RAID-6, so can lose two of the four drives without data
64 loss. Oh, new AC as well!
65
66 Anyway, I know a bit about drives going out, unfortunately. Fortunately,
67 mine didn't go out all at once and I had the critical stuff backed up, tho
68 the backups weren't as upto date as they should have been, but I got what
69 I had to and most of what I wanted off. Actually, the drive still mostly
70 works, but for the couple partitions that got killed in the heat. I
71 expect if I take it apart there will be head-crash rings where the heads
72 were when it was hot. As long as I kept it cool after that, however, the
73 damage didn't seem to spread, but I still got the RAID set up as quickly
74 as I could.
81 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
84 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list