From: felix@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV (thread drift - slaveryware)
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 19:57:14
1 On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 12:23:12PM -0700, Bob Sanders wrote:
2
3 > I run Linux, and Gentoo specifically, because I dislike being told
4 > what I can do on my computer and how I am to do it. I run an AMD platform
5 > because I dislike being told there is one way my platform shall operate,
6 > and from whom I shall buy my chips from. (Note, the what and how,
7 > for me doesn't include going without a package manager, nor is
8 > messing with CFLAGS of interest to me.)
9
10 That is interesting. I had always thought the only difference was in
11 the results, and that is why all my recent machines have been AMD,
12 that Intel seemed to be too stuck on pure Mhz to concentrate on better
13 processors. I had no idea that Intel had those kinds of limits. They
14 dont' apply to me, for sure, but it is interesting, and maybe that is
15 why I thought AMD motherboards more interesting, as a result of
16 Intel's anal-retentive policies making Intel motherboards less
17 imaginative.
18
19 I have long had a fantasy of sorts of someone coming out with a
20 generic processor taht could be reconfigured on the fly -- of coming
21 up with my own instruction set for it, so a custom gcc backend could
22 produce code for it, and it would be immune to all malware which
23 depends on the specific instruction set. Even, at moments, thinking
24 of having permutations of the instructions every few months, just to
25 ad variety to things. I had brief moments of interest in Transmeta
26 for just that reason, but they quickly disappeared.
30 Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@×××××××.com
31 GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E 6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933
32 I've found a solution to Fermat's Last Theorem but I see I've run out of room o
33 --
34 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list