From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: question(s) GA-K8N Ultra 9 motherboard
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 09:54:33
Joshua Liebowitz posted <ee72671105071111405e358ab3@××××××××××.com>,
excerpted below,  on Mon, 11 Jul 2005 14:40:49 -0400:

... "This isn't a linux newbie newsgroup... says a top poster posting in HTML, no less. Soot-stained and blackened pot, meet kettle, who's DEFINITELY cleaner than you are, as at least he didn't post in HTML! Googling is indeed a good suggestion, but the question was certainly on topic and legit for the list/group, and you are certainly top posting and posting in HTML, both marks of "newbies", and generally considered somewhat offensive behavior on many/most Linux related lists and groups, so where do you get off calling HIM a newbie? (Note that if you choose to post in HTML or top post, IMO you have every right to do so and I'll defend that right, but that doesn't change the fact that doing so is considered offensive behavior worthy of kill filing, a right I'll also defend, and occasionally practice myself, by many regulars on many Linux related lists/groups, including this one. In any case, calling someone a newbie for posting an on topic and legitimate post, while top posting in HTML no less, looks just foolish, and isn't likely to win you much respect on EITHER side of the argument!) Apologies if this came off harshly, but it's no harsher than unfounded accusations calling someone a newbie for an on topic and polite question, who /at/ /least/ knows enough to post in plain text, not HTML. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list