From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: KDE and kdeprefix
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 16:58:51
1 2009/6/12 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
2
3 > Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> posted h0sosu$bcj$1@×××××××××.org,
4 > excerpted below, on Fri, 12 Jun 2009 08:25:51 +0300:
5 >
6 > > On 06/11/2009 11:07 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
7 > >> I can give you examples why it is good: -you can have multiple
8 > >> versions of kde installed
9 > >
10 > > *If* you want multiple versions.
13 > >> - it makes updates risk free. You go from X.Y.Z to X.Y.Z+1 or X.Y+1 -
14 > >> and before you do so, you just copy the whole kde dir.
15 > >
16 > > Why not just "quickpkg --include-config=y --include-unmodified-config=y"
17 > > all to-be-upgraded packages? Looks just as safe to me. In fact, I do
18 > > this on a regular basis.
19 >
20 > Or with FEATURES=buildpkg, you'll already have stuff binpkged as you
21 > merge it, so it's easy enough to revert, just emerge -K =pkg-ver or mask
22 > the new version and remerge -K to get the old one. (Altho this will get
23 > you the original config, but with kde, most folks don't change the system
24 > config anyway, only the package-untouched user config in $HOME.)
25 >
26 > And it's easy enough to get a package files list from equery and the
27 > like, should it become necessary.
28 >
29 > Plus it should be mentioned that kde-3.5 remains where it is in /usr/kde,
30 > so it's still possible to run a 3.5 and a 4.x version together, even when
31 > 4.x is in the normal /usr/ dirs. That's important for those of us who
32 > haven't and probably won't move off of kde-3.5 for general usage for some
33 > time, but still want to experiment with 4.x.
36 finally, 4.3 will mark the removal of my old 3.5 installation. i think that
37 for about 90% of people will be finally able to switch entirely to kde4. The
38 apps are now mostly complete and the 3.5 apps that are still maintained have
39 now been ported; plasma is ok and quite customizable, the backends are
40 working well, with the exception of pulseaudio that is now having some
41 problems with the phonon backend when used in conjuction with flash and old
42 apps that lock directly the physical card, but i suspect that this is due to
43 some configuration issue.
44 Well, anyway, if any of you has tried to have kde4.x and kde-svn running on
45 the same installation would have a lot of problems. the prefix is not
46 working very well and there are quite some problems with apps identifying
47 the wrong path.
50 dott. ing. beso