From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: KDE and kdeprefix
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 16:38:35
1 Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> posted h0sosu$bcj$1@×××××××××.org,
2 excerpted below, on Fri, 12 Jun 2009 08:25:51 +0300:
3
4 > On 06/11/2009 11:07 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
5 >> I can give you examples why it is good: -you can have multiple
6 >> versions of kde installed
7 >
8 > *If* you want multiple versions.
11 >> - it makes updates risk free. You go from X.Y.Z to X.Y.Z+1 or X.Y+1 -
12 >> and before you do so, you just copy the whole kde dir.
13 >
14 > Why not just "quickpkg --include-config=y --include-unmodified-config=y"
15 > all to-be-upgraded packages? Looks just as safe to me. In fact, I do
16 > this on a regular basis.
17
18 Or with FEATURES=buildpkg, you'll already have stuff binpkged as you
19 merge it, so it's easy enough to revert, just emerge -K =pkg-ver or mask
20 the new version and remerge -K to get the old one. (Altho this will get
21 you the original config, but with kde, most folks don't change the system
22 config anyway, only the package-untouched user config in $HOME.)
23
24 And it's easy enough to get a package files list from equery and the
25 like, should it become necessary.
26
27 Plus it should be mentioned that kde-3.5 remains where it is in /usr/kde,
28 so it's still possible to run a 3.5 and a 4.x version together, even when
29 4.x is in the normal /usr/ dirs. That's important for those of us who
30 haven't and probably won't move off of kde-3.5 for general usage for some
31 time, but still want to experiment with 4.x.
36 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman