From: Max Cizauskas <max@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] "For What It's Worth" (or How do I know my Gentoo source code hasn't been messed with?)
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2014 15:32:49
1 Hello all,
2
3 I've been very interested in this topic myself, so I'll pile on my
4 question after answering one of Mark's
5
6 <Snip>
7 On 05/08/2014 1:50 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
8 > I'm sitting here writing R code. I do it in R-Studio. How do I
9 > know that every bit of code I run in that tool isn't being sent out to
10 > some
11 > server? Most likely no one has done an audit of that GUI so I'm trusting
12 > that the company isn't nefarious in nature.
13 >
14 > I use Chrome. How do I know Chrome isn't scanning my local drives
15 > and sending stuff somewhere? I don't.
16 >
17 > In the limit, how would I even know if the Linux kernel was doing this? I
18 > got source through emerge, built code using gcc, installed it by hand,
19 > but I don't know what's really there and never will. I suspect the kernel
20 > is likely one of the safer things on my box.
23 The answer to most things security related seems to be independent
24 verification. If you're going to be the person to do that verification
25 because you don't trust others to do it or can't find proof that it's
26 been done, then there are two factors at play; time and money.
27
28 Where you're only running your own traffic through your system (unlike
29 Duncan's TOR example) this is relatively easy and cheap to accomplish.
30 For ~$100 you can buy a consumer grade switch with a configurable
31 mirroring port which will effectively passively sniff all the traffic
32 going through the switch. You then connect this mirrored port to a spare
33 junker computer running optimally a different distro of linux like
34 Security Onion or anything else with TCPDump capturing full packet
35 captures which you can do analytics on. I do the same for my home
36 network to detect compromised hosts and to see if I'm under attack for
37 any reason. Things I find useful for getting a finger on the pulse are:
38
39 - DNS Query monitoring to see who my home network is reaching out to
40 - GeoIPLookup mappings against bandwidth usage to see if lots of data
41 is being slurped out of my environment
42 - BroIDS, Snorby and Squert (security onion suite of tools) for at a
43 glance view of things going wrong and the ability to dig into events quickly
44
45 My question is what kind of independent validation, or even peer review,
46 is done over the core of Gentoo? Now that new users are being pushed to
47 use the Stage3 tarball and genkernel, is seems to me that much of the
48 core of the Gentoo system is a "just trust me" package. What I love
49 about the Stage 1 approach is you get all the benefits of compiling the
50 system as you go, essentially from scratch and customized for your
51 system, and all the benefits of the scrutiny Duncan mentioned applying
52 to ebuilds is applied. There is much more control in the hands of the
53 person using Stage 1, and it's a smaller footprint for someone to
54 independently validate malicious code didn't get introduced into it.
55 Should someone have been manipulated to put something malicious into the
56 stage3 tarball it could much more easily give a permanent foothold over
57 your system to a malicious 3rd party (think rootkit) then stage 1 would
58 allow.
59
60 Thanks to anyone who can provide light on the topic,
61 Max