From: Lie Ryan <lie.1296@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] "For What It's Worth" (or How do I know my Gentoo source code hasn't been messed with?)
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2014 16:06:40
1 With you having to compile thousands of stuffs if you build from stage 1, I
2 doubt that you will be able to verify every single thing you compile and
3 detect if something is actually doing sneaky stuff AND still have the time
4 to enjoy your system. Also, even if you build from stage 1 and manage to
5 verify all the source code, you still need to download a precompiled
6 compiler which could possibly inject the malicious code into the programs
7 it compiles, and which can also inject itself if you try to compile another
8 compiler from source. If there is a single software that is worth a gold
9 mine to inject with malware to gain illicit access to all Linux system,
10 then it would be gcc. Once you infect a compiler, you're invincible.
11
12 Also, did you apply the same level of scrutiny to your hardware?
13
14 For the truly paranoid, I recommend unplugging.