From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Java in Firefox??
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 20:31:20
1 well, java plugin is only build on 32bit. to have it work in firefox there's
2 only one way: 32bit firefox.
3 for the other extensions (that on 64bit work) to work with 32bit you need to
4 build them for 32bit with the correct flag set into portage, on multilib
5 systems, as yours, portage can build 32bit binaries natively. all you have
6 to do is pass to portage the right flag to do so and to unmask the 32bit
7 package. for how to do this search in the gentoo documentation.
8 the other way to use java on 64bit is konqueror on kde (i don't know it
9 nautilus does this too): konqueror would use the 64bit javavm, which was
10 build also on 64bit, and can use flash via nspluginwrapper and
11 netscape-flash. in this way you'd have a native 64bit web client, with flash
12 plugin, also only 32bit version, enabled via emulation with nspluginwrapper.
13 for having konqueror work set it recognization to firefox or iexplore in the
14 preferences, or you might miss some sites' features that required firefox or
15 iexploder.
16 for nautilus on gnome you might try to see if it supports 64bit java and
17 nspluginwrapper too.
18 these are the actual choices for java and flash on 64bit platoforms. i
19 really hope that firefox 3 would come out with support for javavm for linux
20 and not with only that crappy javaplugin one.
21