From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: amd64 and kernel configuration
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:22:47
1 Paolo Ripamonti posted <40bdd4fd0507270327575194a8@××××××××××.com>,
2 excerpted below, on Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:27:18 +0200:
3
4 > On 7/27/05, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
5 >> I don't believe there's a
6 >> specific kernel option for it. (It's possible, however, that there is
7 >
8 > Spent my morning browsing make menuconfig, well... there is no voice
9 > regarding hypertransport so I guess you're right (unless it's time for me
10 > to take a sight exam :-P)
11
12 A likely more effective method of at least confirming whether there is
13 such a thing, if you don't already know where it is, would be to
14 view/pager/edit the .config file, since that puts it in flat format,
15 meaning you just have to go down the list, rather than browsing thru all
16 that nesting...
17
18 Of course, grepping for "hypertransport" (case insensitive) might be even
19 more useful, and quicker. Quickly opening a konsole to /usr/src/linux,
20 firing up mc, and doing a search on the term in question, yields a
21 surprising number of hits (this hypertransport in the kernel stuff is new
22 info to me as well). Hypertransport is as I mentioned an AMD connection
23 technology, but they've created a more or less open standard out of it,
24 and apparently, a decent enough number of MIPS and PPC hardware platforms
25 use it, that there is support in the Linux kernel on those platforms for
26 it. From the quick search I just did, it appears the kernel DOES have a
27 CONFIG_HYPERTRANSPORT option, but it only appears on MIPS, as a sub-option
28 dependent on the Yosemite chipset/platform/whatever-it-may-be. Apparently
29 on x86/x86_64/ppc hypertransport itself isn't an option, but something
30 that you either have or don't have, based on the characteristics of the
31 chipset drivers chosen.
32
33 Quite interesting, I must say. I had known AMD had opened the standard
34 and tried to make it a public one, but wasn't aware that some ppc and mips
35 platforms had incorporated it, so I'm learning something new in all this,
36 myself!
37
38 That's actually one of the reasons I so enjoy newsgroups and lists such as
39 this -- I never know when a question will come up that'll twist my
40 inquisitiveness of into areas I would have never explored on my own, and
41 I'll learn something either directly from the post content, or from my own
42 exploration stimulated by the content of the post. Those unexpected
43 "ah-ha!" moments, as the new idea clicks into place, filling an
44 information void I didn't know existed, are something I crave, in large
45 part /because/ they are sourced outside of myself, therefore something I
46 wouldn't ordinarily stumble across in my own semi-structured meanderings
47 in search of information.
48
49 So very cool, you guys stimulated me to learn something I would have
50 missed on my own, today! =8^)
55 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
56 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
60 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list