From: Peter Davoust <worldgnat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV (thread drift - slaveryware)
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 23:35:41
1 > Would you go to war, or be willing to die for the "freedom" that open
2 > source
3 > provides? If not, then equating it with the freedoms that real mean
4 > and
5 > women have fought and died for is to marginalize the importance the
6 > word is
7 > meant to convey.
8 Uh oh; we're going to talk about Iraq now, aren't we? Let's keep this in
9 perspective. We tend to drift towards the idea that computers are
10 invincible, and that our data will survive forever, but one massive EM
11 pulse, and all data our data is buried for the rest of time. I don't
12 think that we can equate war to open source software. If someone held a
13 gun to my head and told me to install Windows, I wouldn't say, "No, I'm
14 going to stand here with my Linux and you can't make me do otherwise"...
15 BAM!
16 This is not to say that I like fascism. I am not pleased with
17 dictatorship or the current regime in America, but I don't think that
18 open-source software is worth dieing for. The principle, however, of
19 freedom of choice may be, but that has nothing to do with the present
20 discussion of playing WMV files on your computer.
23 -Peter