From: Bob Young <BYoung@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV (thread drift - slaveryware)
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 22:46:22
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: richard.j.fish@×××××.com [mailto:richard.j.fish@×××××.com]On
3 > Behalf Of Richard Fish
4 > Sent: Friday, September 29, 2006 2:27 PM
5 > To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
6 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV (thread drift -
7 > slaveryware)
10 > On 9/29/06, Bob Young <BYoung@××××××××××.com> wrote:
11 > > That's a very shallow definition of the "essence of freedom," from the
12 > > perspective of most end users, your scenario doesn't really
13 > change anything.
14 > > From the end users perspective s/he is still dependent on
15 > someone else to
16 > > make the changes. I wouldn't say having a choice of who to be
17 > dependent upon
18 > > actually qualifies as "freedom."
19 >
20 > But the user can also choose to not be dependant upon anybody. They
21 > can choose to learn about programming and languages and fix it
22 > themselves. If you say you have no interest in doing that, then you
23 > are *choosing* to be dependant upon somebody, and now you have to pick
24 > who to become dependant on. But that doesn't change the fact that you
25 > can still choose to not be dependant on anybody. Sounds like
26 > "freedom" to me...
27
28 Technically yes, I've said that all along. However, in real world practical
29 terms, how truly *valuable* is this "freedom"...?
30
31 Would you go to war, or be willing to die for the "freedom" that open source
32 provides? If not, then equating it with the freedoms that real mean and
33 women have fought and died for is to marginalize the importance the word is
34 meant to convey.
35
36 I'm not saying that open source should be outlawed, or even that it
37 shouldn't be advocated for, as it does have some advantages. I'm just saying
38 that the quote unquote "freedom," that it provides, doesn't really justify
39 the use of words like freedomware and slaveryware.
42 > > > It absolutely is just like a car, or a house, or anything else. If my
43 > > > house could only be modified by the original builder, it would never
44 > > > be modified -- I'd never even get a picture hung for want of being
45 > > > able to put a nail in a stud. Now maybe I can't add a drawbridge to
46 > > > my house myself, I can't do the welding or design, but my friend
47 > > > could, and did.
48 > >
49 > > Analogies suck, software isn't a car, or a house, or anything else, it's
50 > > software. If you can't make you're point without analogies, maybe you
51 > > haven't thought it through clearly enough.
52 >
53 > Yes, all analogies are imperfect by definition. But many people find
54 > that creating analogies to other industries and products helps them
55 > understand the issues.
56
57 I should have been more specific and said that *software* analogies suck.
58 The problem is that almost invariably the analogies are to three dimensional
59 objects in the physical world, and software isn't even one dimensional, and
60 thus, rarely do such analogies actually add any real clarity to the picture.
61
62 > > I consider the facts, and look at the reality of the situation,
63 > and decide
64 > > for myself what opinion to take.
65 >
66 > Fine. But why should someone who believes that the terms
67 > "slaveryware" and "freedomware" are the most accurate reflection of
68 > *their* opinion stop using the terms?
69
70 For one, there isn't any good, factual, logical, basis to justify their use.
71 Secondly, the use of such words in relation to something as trivial as open
72 source, (trivial least in comparison to other things that freedom is
73 justifiably used in relation to), tends trivialize the meaning of the word
74 freedom.
77 Regards
78 Bob Young
82 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list