From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV (thread drift - slaveryware)
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 21:30:08
1 On 9/29/06, Bob Young <BYoung@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > That's a very shallow definition of the "essence of freedom," from the
3 > perspective of most end users, your scenario doesn't really change anything.
4 > From the end users perspective s/he is still dependent on someone else to
5 > make the changes. I wouldn't say having a choice of who to be dependent upon
6 > actually qualifies as "freedom."
7
8 But the user can also choose to not be dependant upon anybody. They
9 can choose to learn about programming and languages and fix it
10 themselves. If you say you have no interest in doing that, then you
11 are *choosing* to be dependant upon somebody, and now you have to pick
12 who to become dependant on. But that doesn't change the fact that you
13 can still choose to not be dependant on anybody. Sounds like
14 "freedom" to me...
15
16 > > It absolutely is just like a car, or a house, or anything else. If my
17 > > house could only be modified by the original builder, it would never
18 > > be modified -- I'd never even get a picture hung for want of being
19 > > able to put a nail in a stud. Now maybe I can't add a drawbridge to
20 > > my house myself, I can't do the welding or design, but my friend
21 > > could, and did.
22 >
23 > Analogies suck, software isn't a car, or a house, or anything else, it's
24 > software. If you can't make you're point without analogies, maybe you
25 > haven't thought it through clearly enough.
26
27 Yes, all analogies are imperfect by definition. But many people find
28 that creating analogies to other industries and products helps them
29 understand the issues.
30
31 > I consider the facts, and look at the reality of the situation, and decide
32 > for myself what opinion to take.
33
34 Fine. But why should someone who believes that the terms
35 "slaveryware" and "freedomware" are the most accurate reflection of
36 *their* opinion stop using the terms?
37
38 -Richard
39 --
40 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list