From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: amd64 and kernel configuration
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:02:55
1 Brett Johnson posted <42E77E5B.4040604@××××.com>, excerpted below, on
2 Wed, 27 Jul 2005 07:30:19 -0500:
3
4 > netpython wrote:
5 >> I have enabled SMP on my gentoo AMD64 system and my box doesn't run any
6 >> slower (or faster).
9 > As stated earlier by Duncan (in what I thought was a great explanation!);
10 >
11 > "If you are using only a single-core AMD64, you'll want SMP off, because
12 > altho the kernel will work with it on, it'll be more bloated than it needs
13 > to be."
14 >
15 > This just means the physical size of the kernel will be larger than it
16 > needs to be, and consume more memory. It will have no impact on overall
17 > system performance.
18
19 Exactly so, because when the kernel doesn't detect a second CPU, it'll
20 disable most of the SMP code and not even touch it, therefore not
21 affecting performance.
22
23 The only exception is the size of the kernel. Kernel memory is locked
24 memory -- it cannot be swapped out. Therefore, a kernel larger than it
25 has to be means less real memory available for other things, and more
26 swapping and/or less caching than would otherwise be necessary. The
27 effect isn't normally large enough to notice, but it /might/ mean
28 occasionally waiting an extra few seconds for a swapped out app to load,
29 or a file to be read from disk that otherwise would have still been in
30 memory cache, were it not for that additional and entirely unused kernel
31 bloat.
32
33 BTW, that's also a good reason to keep drivers you don't use very often,
34 likely floppy drivers, perhaps CD/DVD drivers and their filesystems,
35 perhaps FAT filesystems, perhaps printers drivers and/or anything related
36 such as parport drivers, perhaps scanner drivers, etc... keep them all
37 compiled as modules, and only load those modules when needed, unloading
38 them later. A loaded kernel module is part of the kernel, and as such,
39 again, locked memory, not swappable. If you only use your floppy drive
40 once a month, and only use the FAT filesystem when accessing the floppy,
41 it simply makes no sense to compile it built-in to the kernel, or to keep
42 those modules loaded when not in use. Far better to free that memory, so
43 it may be used by something you are actually /using/.
48 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
49 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
53 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list