From: Brett Johnson <brett@××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: amd64 and kernel configuration
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:32:31
1 netpython wrote:
2 > I have enabled SMP on my gentoo AMD64 system and my
3 > box doesn't run any slower (or faster).
6 As stated earlier by Duncan (in what I thought was a great explanation!);
7
8 "If you are using only a single-core AMD64, you'll want SMP
9 off, because altho the kernel will work with it on, it'll be more
10 bloated than it needs to be."
11
12 This just means the physical size of the kernel will be larger than it
13 needs to be, and consume more memory. It will have no impact on overall
14 system performance.
15 --
16 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list