From: Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: local not started?
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 07:42:13
1 Raffaele Belardi wrote:
2 > I use the 'local' service to force the ignore_nice_load parameter to 0:
3 >
4 > # cat /etc/conf.d/local.start
5 > echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/odemand/ignore_nice_load
6 > (not sure about the path, I am on another pc now)
7 >
8 > Recently I noticed that ignore_nice_load is still set to default 1
9 > value, although the 'local' service apparently was started:
10 > # /etc/init.d/local start
11 > * WARNING: local has already been started.
12 >
13 > If I source the local.start from the shell, the value is correctly set.
14 > Any ideas why the the ignore_nice_load is not set to the value I want at
15 > boot?
16
17 I found the reason for this behavior: gnome-power-manager was resetting
18 that parameter, there is one field "consider_nice" under the "cpufreq"
19 options that overrides the setting defined by 'local' service. Not very
20 nice way to proceed, in my opinion.
21
22 Too bad now I have a similar problem with hdparm service, I set two out
23 of three disks to standby mode (-S 12) with 'hdparm' service, but as
24 soon as Gnome starts the setting is ignored or overwritten. I have to
25 issue again the hdparm command from a root shell to make it effective
26 within Gnome. I've not yet found which Gnome option could influence this
27 behavior.
28
29 raf