From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: KDE 4.0.4 upgrade, sort of.
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 19:18:49
1 2008/5/31 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>:
2
3 > Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> posted
4 > d257c3560805311112k4c7112fbl645e95d85f65f7cc@××××××××××.com, excerpted
5 > below, on Sat, 31 May 2008 18:12:56 +0000:
6 >
7 > > by the way, a short question: what do i have to do to be sure that
8 > > kernel compilation uses ccache and is there a way to have it compiling
9 > > into ram like the packages that portage or paludis install?!
10 >
11 > With the kernel, I don't worry about it. It's a short enough compile,
12 > and only once a week or so even when I'm following the RCs, that it's
13 > really not that worth it.
14 >
15 > I DID set it up with a script so it grabs the CFLAGS out of make.conf
16 > before it compiles, tho. I figured I might as well.
17 >
18 > If you like, we can start a new thread about that, and I can outline the
19 > whole scripted kernel setup (and the couple of patches I apply using the
20 > script), that I've created to pretty much automate the process, here.
21 > There's only one step that I haven't actually automated, the actual
22 > sources download, but I was thinking about automating that the other
23 > day. Everything else, verifying the signature, moving the kernel and
24 > signature file to my kernel archive, untarring the sources and applying
25 > the couple trivial patches, running make old config, running the compile,
26 > doing the install including mounting and unmounting /boot, even invoking
27 > the editor on grub.conf, all scripted, invoked with just a couple
28 > commands.
31 a new thread about it could be very interesting. i'm quite a little
32 interested in it. could you please post the steps and the scripts in a
33 fresh thread when you'll have some spare time?! thanks very much. it should
34 be you to start the thread on this argument.
35
36 now i've just found out the dvb-t device for watching the european
37 championships with native linux inkernel support.
38
39 and thanks again for your hints. i'm little by little learning more and more
40 about various things after listening to them. it seems that you're
41 knowledgeable about a lot of different stuff.
44 dott. ing. beso