From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: KDE 4.0.4 upgrade, sort of.
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 19:01:28
1 Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> posted
2 d257c3560805311112k4c7112fbl645e95d85f65f7cc@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Sat, 31 May 2008 18:12:56 +0000:
4
5 > by the way, a short question: what do i have to do to be sure that
6 > kernel compilation uses ccache and is there a way to have it compiling
7 > into ram like the packages that portage or paludis install?!
8
9 With the kernel, I don't worry about it. It's a short enough compile,
10 and only once a week or so even when I'm following the RCs, that it's
11 really not that worth it.
12
13 I DID set it up with a script so it grabs the CFLAGS out of make.conf
14 before it compiles, tho. I figured I might as well.
15
16 If you like, we can start a new thread about that, and I can outline the
17 whole scripted kernel setup (and the couple of patches I apply using the
18 script), that I've created to pretty much automate the process, here.
19 There's only one step that I haven't actually automated, the actual
20 sources download, but I was thinking about automating that the other
21 day. Everything else, verifying the signature, moving the kernel and
22 signature file to my kernel archive, untarring the sources and applying
23 the couple trivial patches, running make old config, running the compile,
24 doing the install including mounting and unmounting /boot, even invoking
25 the editor on grub.conf, all scripted, invoked with just a couple
26 commands.
31 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
34 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list