From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: KDE 4.0.4 upgrade, sort of.
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 18:12:58
1 2008/5/31 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>:
2
3 > Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> posted
4 > d257c3560805310843t605009b7x4ae908a4b1c6d46a@××××××××××.com, excerpted
5 > below, on Sat, 31 May 2008 15:43:21 +0000:
6 >
7 > > or you could just use the kde4 apps in kde3.5.
8 >
9 > When I switch, I'll start using KDE4 for everything I can, so it'd be the
10 > other way, KDE3 where I have to, KDE4 where it has been ported and
11 > works. Until then, I'll probably stick with KDE 3.x entirely. I don't
12 > see much advantage in running KDE4 apps on a KDE3 desktop, but there is
13 > some in the reverse, once the KDE4 stuff gets functional enough to let me
14 > do so. Hopefully with 4.1.
18 for the moment the kde4 stable apps in my personal experience are:
19 dolphin, krusader (even if on cvs and still considered unstable by its
20 devs), kate, konqueror (if you aren't going to see sites optimized for
21 gecko) and it's a big deal better than old 3.5, okular (which is really
22 great as unified documents viewer), kopete (no irc and new live! protocol
23 supported yet, but old ones work well), kwallet, gwenview, dragon player
24 (kaffeine is still ages forward but is a nice low comsumption media player).
25 surely there are others, but these are quite good now.
26
27 by the way, a short question: what do i have to do to be sure that kernel
28 compilation uses ccache and is there a way to have it compiling into ram
29 like the packages that portage or paludis install?!
33 dott. ing. beso