From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: New install, /var on tmpfs
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 20:32:58
1 Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> posted
2 200802061341.37169.volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de, excerpted below,
3 on Wed, 06 Feb 2008 13:41:37 +0100:
4
5 > and the more spindles, the higher the chance for a fatal disk crash.
6
7 Well yes, but that's sort of the point of using RAID-6 instead of RAID-5,
8 and once one gets over 8-10 disks, RAID-10 or RAID-61 (? or would it be
9 called 16, duplicating each disk, not the entire RAID-6 ?) becomes
10 practical.
11
12 Actually, today I'd probably implement it using a couple of those
13 external 5-way port-multipliered SATA boxes, connecting each to the
14 system via single SATA-300 cable, which should handle 5 disk's disk-rate
15 I/O reasonably well without bottlenecking. Connect each cable to a
16 separate SATA-300 card on separate PCI-E or PCI-X channels, avoiding
17 bottlenecking there, and the bandwidth should be reasonable. Because the
18 external disk arrays have their own power supplies, the one in the
19 computer itself wouldn't have to be such a honker, I could run low noise
20 supplies in all of them, and the computer case could be smaller too, as
21 the only drive in it would be a DVD burner. It'd be three smaller,
22 quieter, more portable and easier to work with boxes, in place of the
23 single full tower case, quad internal hard drives plus DVD burner, I'm
24 using today. The dual 5-way drive cases would give me space for ten
25 drives, of which I'd probably make two hot-spares, leaving an 8-way
26 RAID-6, two parity, six data stripes. Large write performance, the real
27 killer now, would be much better, and because I'd have two hot-spares
28 ready for the system to bring online if necessary, total reliability
29 should remain comparable to now, 4-way RAID-6 but without the hot-spares.
34 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
37 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list