From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: New install, /var on tmpfs
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:41:42
1 On Mittwoch, 6. Februar 2008, Duncan wrote:
4 > The root and rootbak partitions contain most of /usr and /var as well,
5 > basically everything that gets touched by ebuilds and the package manager
6 > including its data, so it all stays in sync. If I were doing it over,
7 > the only two things I'd do differently would be to have two rootbaks, so
8 > if the system crashed while I was writing the one backup and neither it
9 > nor the primary working root were functional, I could still boot the
10 > other backup, and I'd create my RAID using at least 5 spindles/drives
11 > (but go lower end on capacity per spindle), as writing to a 4-way RAID-6
12 > is slowwwww.
13
14 and the more spindles, the higher the chance for a fatal disk crash.
15 --
16 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list