From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: New install, /var on tmpfs
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:22:49
1 Tonko Mulder <tonko.mulder@×××××.com> posted
2 200802061253.45910.tonko.mulder@×××××.com, excerpted below, on Wed, 06
3 Feb 2008 12:53:37 +0100:
4
5 > Op Wednesday 06 February 2008 11:19:46 schreef Duncan:
6 >
7 >> FWIW, I have /tmp on tmpfs, and /var/tmp as a symlink pointing at it.
8
9 > Don't know what 'FWIW' is, but anyway :)
10
11 http://www.onelook.com/?w=fwiw&ls=a
12
13 For What It's Worth. (FWIW... I don't use too many IM/list-speak
14 acronyms and tend to dislike reading posts from those that do, but I use
15 a few common ones, FWIW, BTW=By The Way, smilies, etc.)
16
17 > Thanks for the info and I'll try that when I'm ready to boot.. ( I
18 > wasn't thinking and I created a lvm root partition :P )
19
20 =8^\
21
22 I've never done that, tho I understand it's workable if you have
23 /boot separate and an initramfs/initrd with lvm2 therein, but I spent
24 QUITE some time planning my system so it wasn't necessary, putting
25 root and rootbak (if one fails I can boot the other, I update the backup
26 only periodically, when I know the main one is working well) on
27 partitioned RAID-6, specifically to AVOID root on lvm. Unlike lvm, the
28 kernel can pickup md/RAID parameters from its command line and can boot
29 into it directly, so that's how I have it arranged, /boot on RAID-1 as
30 that's all the RAID grub can handle, root and rootbak, along with the
31 physical volume for my LVM for everything else redundancy critical on
32 partitioned RAID-6, and 4-way striped swap and RAID-0 for caches (ccache,
33 the Gentoo tree, /usr/src/linux/) that are speed but not redundancy
34 critical.
35
36 The root and rootbak partitions contain most of /usr and /var as well,
37 basically everything that gets touched by ebuilds and the package manager
38 including its data, so it all stays in sync. If I were doing it over,
39 the only two things I'd do differently would be to have two rootbaks, so
40 if the system crashed while I was writing the one backup and neither it
41 nor the primary working root were functional, I could still boot the
42 other backup, and I'd create my RAID using at least 5 spindles/drives
43 (but go lower end on capacity per spindle), as writing to a 4-way RAID-6
44 is slowwwww.
49 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
52 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list