From: Tonko Mulder <tonko.mulder@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: New install, /var on tmpfs
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 11:53:53
1 Op Wednesday 06 February 2008 11:19:46 schreef Duncan:
2
3 > FWIW, I have /tmp on tmpfs, and /var/tmp as a symlink pointing at it.
4 > There's some stuff in /var/tmp by default that really should go in /var/
5 > cache instead (as above, it's cache, not tmp, and works best if kept over
6 > a reboot), but at least here, I was able to point it all elsewhere, thus
7 > leaving tmp (including /var/tmp) as really tmp.
8 Don't know what 'FWIW' is, but anyway :)
9
10 > Specifically, I have a script that I run from the local service at boot
11 > that creates individual user tempdirs for a couple users in /tmp (with a
12 > ~/tmp symlink pointed at the appropriate /tmp/<user> subdir) and
13 > additionally, creates with the appropriate permissions the various X
14 > tempdirs (.X11-unix, .ICE-unix, .font-unix, the latter for xfs font
15 > server I believe).
16 >
17 > Additionally, as a KDE user, I had to set and export three KDE* vars in
18 > my environment, KDEVARTMP and KDESYCOCA to point to a non-tmpfs cache dir
19 > location (I decided to place them in the user's homedir, not in a system
20 > dir like /var/tmp, the sycoca var of course points to a filename in the
21 > dir), and KDETMP to point to the appropriate user tmpdir under /tmp.
22 > GNOME probably has similar settings, but I'd have no idea what or where
23 > as I don't run it.
24 >
25 > Before setting the KDEVARTMP var I'd lose konqueror and general KDE
26 > favicon cache, etc. However, it wasn't anything serious, nor should it
27 > be, as the spec says /var/tmp is for cached stuff, which is nice to save
28 > over a reboot, but not critical. Again, why they don't just use /var/
29 > cache for that, and save tmp for really tmp stuff, I don't know, but
30 > that's the way it is.
31 >
32 > After making those adjustments, I've had no further issues.
33
34 Thanks for the info and I'll try that when I'm ready to boot..
35 ( I wasn't thinking and I created a lvm root partition :P )