From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: New install, /var on tmpfs
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 10:19:58
1 Tonko Mulder <tonko.mulder@×××××.com> posted
2 200802060847.50748.tonko.mulder@×××××.com, excerpted below, on Wed, 06
3 Feb 2008 08:47:42 +0100:
4
5 > Op Wednesday 06 February 2008 08:39:46 schreef Volker Armin Hemmann:
6 >> On Mittwoch, 6. Februar 2008, Tonko Mulder wrote:
7 >> >
8 >> > I'm doing a new install and since I put /tmp on tmpfs I was wondering
9 >> > if I could put /var on tmpfs as well.
10 >>
11 >> no.
12
13 >> You can put
14 >> /var/tmp
15 >> on tmpfs, but 'the spec' says, that stuff in /var/tmp should survive a
16 >> reboot.
17 >>
18 >> So
19 >> /var/tmp/portage
20 >>
21 >> that is save.
22 >
23 > Oke, thanks. All needed to know :)
24
25 FWIW, I have /tmp on tmpfs, and /var/tmp as a symlink pointing at it.
26 There's some stuff in /var/tmp by default that really should go in /var/
27 cache instead (as above, it's cache, not tmp, and works best if kept over
28 a reboot), but at least here, I was able to point it all elsewhere, thus
29 leaving tmp (including /var/tmp) as really tmp.
30
31 Specifically, I have a script that I run from the local service at boot
32 that creates individual user tempdirs for a couple users in /tmp (with a
33 ~/tmp symlink pointed at the appropriate /tmp/<user> subdir) and
34 additionally, creates with the appropriate permissions the various X
35 tempdirs (.X11-unix, .ICE-unix, .font-unix, the latter for xfs font
36 server I believe).
37
38 Additionally, as a KDE user, I had to set and export three KDE* vars in
39 my environment, KDEVARTMP and KDESYCOCA to point to a non-tmpfs cache dir
40 location (I decided to place them in the user's homedir, not in a system
41 dir like /var/tmp, the sycoca var of course points to a filename in the
42 dir), and KDETMP to point to the appropriate user tmpdir under /tmp.
43 GNOME probably has similar settings, but I'd have no idea what or where
44 as I don't run it.
45
46 Before setting the KDEVARTMP var I'd lose konqueror and general KDE
47 favicon cache, etc. However, it wasn't anything serious, nor should it
48 be, as the spec says /var/tmp is for cached stuff, which is nice to save
49 over a reboot, but not critical. Again, why they don't just use /var/
50 cache for that, and save tmp for really tmp stuff, I don't know, but
51 that's the way it is.
52
53 After making those adjustments, I've had no further issues.
58 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
61 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list