From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: experiences with Tyan S4881?
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 20:31:18
1 "Tamas Karpati" <tkarpati@×××××.com> posted
2 bd453d7f0606200445o335db209rc64b9a3940c22314@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Tue, 20 Jun 2006 11:45:39 +0000:
4
5 > I have good experiences with Gentoo on dual AMD (both Athlon and Opteron)
6 > systems,
7 > as well as with dual core Intel so I just want to be sure before
8 > recommending the
9 > S4881+Gentoo combination for scientific computations...
10
11 Tyan is one of the better choices for high-end multi-socket solutions on
12 Linux. They tend to be one of the more Linux friendly board
13 manufacturers.
14
15 I'm not running anything quite as high end as this board, but I am running
16 a dual-socket s2885 that I've been /very/ happy with, originally
17 single-core but now dual-core ready due to a BIOS update (I'll probably
18 be upgrading to dual-cores later this year). Before purchase, I verified
19 that Linux supported the chipset and various board hardware had drivers.
20 Tyan even had an lm_sensors config file for the board! They also have
21 various Linux specific support pages. After purchase, I noticed the manual
22 even listed certifications on Red Hat, TurboLinux, and SuSE.
23
24 I haven't checked recently but back then (~2 years ago now) the Linux
25 support pages did still assume access to an MSDOS floppy for BIOS updates.
26 I wrote in, asking about FreeDOS for BIOS updates, as I no longer have
27 anything MS around, noting that one manufacturer (ASUS maybe? IDR)
28 actually shipped FreeDOS BIOS update floppy images. The reply was friendly
29 but non-committal. After I went ahead and tried it, I wrote back
30 confirming that it worked, and suggesting they at least add it to their
31 Linux documentation pages as a suggestion from a user, or something of the
32 like. Again, I've not checked to see if they actually did it or not, but
33 I've used FreeDOS images for all my updates since then, mounting the
34 generic FreeDOS OEM image and copying the BIOS updater to it before dd-ing
35 the image directly to the floppy.
36
37 Checking the tyan pages for that board, I don't see the 4881 listed for an
38 lm_sensors config file (there's one for the 4882). I'd verify the chipset
39 and hardware has Linux drivers, then, given the price of that class of
40 solution, I'd mail Tyan directly and ask about it. As I said, they are
41 quite Linux friendly and will likely be able to tell you it's certified
42 with various Linux distributions. If not, they'll almost certainly be
43 able to point you to one that is.
44
45 Or... try the 4882-D, if you don't specifically need PCI-E and can use
46 PCI-X instead. It's the same base AMD chipset I'm running in my 2885, and
47 it does have an lm_sensors config available on the Tyan site, so support
48 for it should be a given. If I were in the market for a 4-socket model,
49 I'd certainly not hesitate on it, given my experience on this one.
50
51 Meanwhile, there's another angle you can try. A number of Gentoo devs
52 (and users) have participated in the Gentoo exhibit at various
53 conferences. Given the from-source nature of Gentoo, it's popular with
54 various hardware exhibitors as well, and I recall mention in GWN and on
55 the dev list of at least a couple times when Gentoo was installed on 4-way
56 or higher systems "live" at the conference exhibit. Going back thru the
57 GWN issues and getting in touch with the devs involved to get the details
58 on what the hardware was exactly might be informative and give you
59 additional specific details of Gentoo on specific hardware.
66 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
69 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list