From: "Ryan A. Rice" <rrice@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: experiences with Tyan S4881?
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 20:37:07
1 We sell a configuration that utilizes the S4881. It works very well
2 with nix. We loaded Gentoo on it at LinuxWorld '06 in Boston.
3 (actually, some of the gentoo guys, namely Chris Gianelloni loaded it)
4
5 We also had the M4881 plug in there, allowing us 16 cores with 64GB ram
6 installed. See the GWN on it :-)
7
8 http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20060417-newsletter.xml
9
10 Regards,
11
12 Ryan A. Rice
13 Operations Manager
14 i*hydra, Where Price and Power Converge.
15 http://www.ihydra.com
16 rrice@××××××.com
17 Direct: (207) 226-7360
18 Toll Free: (866)-433-1238
19 Fax: (207)-563-6601
20
21 Any and all information/attachments are strictly proprietary and confidential. If you have received this message in error, please delete it immediately, and notify rrice@××××××.com Thank you.
22
23 +---------------------------------+
27 Duncan wrote:
28 > "Tamas Karpati" <tkarpati@×××××.com> posted
29 > bd453d7f0606200445o335db209rc64b9a3940c22314@××××××××××.com, excerpted
30 > below, on Tue, 20 Jun 2006 11:45:39 +0000:
33 >> I have good experiences with Gentoo on dual AMD (both Athlon and Opteron)
34 >> systems,
35 >> as well as with dual core Intel so I just want to be sure before
36 >> recommending the
37 >> S4881+Gentoo combination for scientific computations...
40 > Tyan is one of the better choices for high-end multi-socket solutions on
41 > Linux. They tend to be one of the more Linux friendly board
42 > manufacturers.
43 >
44 > I'm not running anything quite as high end as this board, but I am running
45 > a dual-socket s2885 that I've been /very/ happy with, originally
46 > single-core but now dual-core ready due to a BIOS update (I'll probably
47 > be upgrading to dual-cores later this year). Before purchase, I verified
48 > that Linux supported the chipset and various board hardware had drivers.
49 > Tyan even had an lm_sensors config file for the board! They also have
50 > various Linux specific support pages. After purchase, I noticed the manual
51 > even listed certifications on Red Hat, TurboLinux, and SuSE.
52 >
53 > I haven't checked recently but back then (~2 years ago now) the Linux
54 > support pages did still assume access to an MSDOS floppy for BIOS updates.
55 > I wrote in, asking about FreeDOS for BIOS updates, as I no longer have
56 > anything MS around, noting that one manufacturer (ASUS maybe? IDR)
57 > actually shipped FreeDOS BIOS update floppy images. The reply was friendly
58 > but non-committal. After I went ahead and tried it, I wrote back
59 > confirming that it worked, and suggesting they at least add it to their
60 > Linux documentation pages as a suggestion from a user, or something of the
61 > like. Again, I've not checked to see if they actually did it or not, but
62 > I've used FreeDOS images for all my updates since then, mounting the
63 > generic FreeDOS OEM image and copying the BIOS updater to it before dd-ing
64 > the image directly to the floppy.
65 >
66 > Checking the tyan pages for that board, I don't see the 4881 listed for an
67 > lm_sensors config file (there's one for the 4882). I'd verify the chipset
68 > and hardware has Linux drivers, then, given the price of that class of
69 > solution, I'd mail Tyan directly and ask about it. As I said, they are
70 > quite Linux friendly and will likely be able to tell you it's certified
71 > with various Linux distributions. If not, they'll almost certainly be
72 > able to point you to one that is.
73 >
74 > Or... try the 4882-D, if you don't specifically need PCI-E and can use
75 > PCI-X instead. It's the same base AMD chipset I'm running in my 2885, and
76 > it does have an lm_sensors config available on the Tyan site, so support
77 > for it should be a given. If I were in the market for a 4-socket model,
78 > I'd certainly not hesitate on it, given my experience on this one.
79 >
80 > Meanwhile, there's another angle you can try. A number of Gentoo devs
81 > (and users) have participated in the Gentoo exhibit at various
82 > conferences. Given the from-source nature of Gentoo, it's popular with
83 > various hardware exhibitors as well, and I recall mention in GWN and on
84 > the dev list of at least a couple times when Gentoo was installed on 4-way
85 > or higher systems "live" at the conference exhibit. Going back thru the
86 > GWN issues and getting in touch with the devs involved to get the details
87 > on what the hardware was exactly might be informative and give you
88 > additional specific details of Gentoo on specific hardware.
94 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list