From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: experiences with Tyan S4881?
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 22:37:56
1 "Ryan A. Rice" <rrice@××××××.com> posted 4499AD6B.1070609@××××××.com,
2 excerpted below, on Wed, 21 Jun 2006 16:34:51 -0400:
3
4 > We sell a configuration that utilizes the S4881. It works very well
5 > with nix. We loaded Gentoo on it at LinuxWorld '06 in Boston.
6 > (actually, some of the gentoo guys, namely Chris Gianelloni loaded it)
7 >
8 > We also had the M4881 plug in there, allowing us 16 cores with 64GB ram
9 > installed. See the GWN on it :-)
10 >
11 > http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20060417-newsletter.xml
12
13 There you go. =8^) I did suggest checking old GWNs for conference exhibit
14 stories. Sure enough!
15
16 I was looking at that 4-way with 4-way plugin board thing, and thinking
17 about dual-cores on it, and my mouth was watering! That would be
18 seriously fun to play with! =8^) OTOH, how slow my old 2-way single-core
19 with 8 gigs of RAM and a 4-disk RAID-6 desktop/workstation would seem
20 afterward! =8^( I AM looking forward to the dual-core upgrade, later this
21 year, however. =8^)
28 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
31 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list