From: Tamas Karpati <tkarpati@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: experiences with Tyan S4881?
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 11:43:51
1 Hi Duncan & Ryan,
2
3 Thanks for the hints so far. I'm going to check out Tyan's support for Linux
4 before getting more astonished (by the possibilities Duncan mentioned :)
5
6 I think the 4-way plugin and the possibility to substitute single to dual core
7 procs are one of S4881's strengths but I'm not sure that next year or later
8 (when one gets the money) it will still be possible to order the plugin.
9
10 One more promising fact is that I haven't seen the half-of-four gigs waste of
11 RAM with Tyan S2882 (as opposed to MSI MasterX-Far mobs which,
12 in addition, wouldn't let me install >4G). As I'v learnt from one of
13 Duncan's earlier messages, it was most probably due to address space
14 allocation for various buses by the BIOS. On S2882, I could also mix up RAM
15 modules of various sizes and clock rates (I suppose the mob syncronized to
16 the slowest) on any of the two ranks...
17
18 Anyways, I hope memory can be shared on S4881 (or -D, S4882) as well
19 as on S2882, meaning that any thread can utilize any part of (or all) the
20 physical memory mounted on the mob. They want to use all the 64G memory
21 (only "all" because (i) no mob supports more and (ii) resources are limited).
22
23 Thanks again,
24 Tamas
25 --