From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: KDE 4.0.4 upgrade, sort of.
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 07:22:42
1 Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o> posted 4842013B.7090101@g.o,
2 excerpted below, on Sat, 31 May 2008 21:54:03 -0400:
3
4 > but you can go one better. When paludis dies it can be asked to create
5 > a resume script - a command line that will resume where it left off.
6 > This will include all the packages that it hadn't yet installed. You
7 > can edit this command line as you please and execute it.
8 >
9 > It isn't exactly --skipfirst, but it is better in some regards and maybe
10 > worse in others.
11
12 That's a very nice feature, indeed! I'm impressed! =8^)
13
14 [snipped discussion of a feature I've no comment on]
15
16 > Also - paludis's support for GLSAs is nice - paludis -i security will
17 > install all security updates, and paludis --report will catch any
18 > unfixed GLSAs.
19
20 That's nice for folks running what to me might as well be 20th century
21 software, stable folks who are running servers and the like and thus
22 don't update very often. There's certainly a place for such. However,
23 here I run all ~amd64, normally synced and updated (deep newuse world)
24 weekly or better, and by the time the GLSAs come out, I've often been
25 running the fixed versions for weeks already! I do still keep track of
26 the announcements, and check versions occasionally, but only maybe once
27 or twice a year does the GLSA come out close enough to the release of the
28 fix that I actually have to do an upgrade based on it.
29
30 Therefore, automated GLSA processing might be nice for some, just as the
31 terrible quakes in China were literally the end of the world for some,
32 but neither one really affects me where I live.
33
34 > Again - the best package manager is situation-dependent. I'm
35 > occasionally disappointed by some of paludis's developers (and some of
36 > its detractors), but it is a very capable piece of software.
37
38 Absolutely agreed, the best PM *IS* situation dependent. I'm also very
39 glad Gentoo's got a wealth of three entirely different choices to choose
40 from. Definitely following the Open Source and standardisation spirit!
41 =8^)
46 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
49 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list