From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: KDE 4.0.4 upgrade, sort of.
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 04:29:17
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > I don't have a particular dog in this fight, but that's not the same
3 > thing. --skip-first allows the admin to react to whatever when wrong,
4 > try to fix it, and use the skip option only if he decides it's
5 > warranted. IOW, it's sort of interactive, tho over time. It appears
6 > this option must be added at the beginning, before one knows there'll be
7 > an error, and independent of what that error might be.
8 >
9 > (I'm assuming paludis creates a log of what failed, so one can try them
10 > again later, after fixing the problem or getting a package update or
11 > whatever.
12
13 Sure it does - but you can go one better. When paludis dies it can be
14 asked to create a resume script - a command line that will resume where
15 it left off. This will include all the packages that it hadn't yet
16 installed. You can edit this command line as you please and execute it.
17
18 It isn't exactly --skipfirst, but it is better in some regards and maybe
19 worse in others.
20
21 Oh, even if you don't want to use paludis as your package manager you
22 might want to look at adjutrix. There are scripts that do the same
23 sorts of things with portage, but adjutrix can do reverse deps in
24 seconds, or a comparison of amd64 to x86 for keywording purposes.
25
26 Also - paludis's support for GLSAs is nice - paludis -i security will
27 install all security updates, and paludis --report will catch any
28 unfixed GLSAs.
29
30 Again - the best package manager is situation-dependent. I'm
31 occasionally disappointed by some of paludis's developers (and some of
32 its detractors), but it is a very capable piece of software.
33 --
34 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list