From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: KDE 4.0.4 upgrade, sort of.
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 23:54:35
1 David Leverton <levertond@××××××××××.com> posted
2 200805312034.51915.levertond@××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Sat, 31
3 May 2008 20:34:51 +0100:
4
5 > On Saturday 31 May 2008 20:25:42 Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
6 >> New in pkgcore:
7 >> --ignore-failures:
8 >> [snip]
9 >>
10 >> people who asked for a similar functionality in paludis were called
11 >> stupid. (asking for skipfirst equivalent)
12 >
13 > [dleverton@shiny-one ~] $ paludis --help [snip]
14 > --continue-on-failure Whether to continue after a fetch or install
15 > error
16 > if-fetch-only If fetching only (default)
17 > never Never
18 > if-satisfied If remaining packages' dependencies are satisfied
19 > if-independent If independent of failed and skipped packages
20 > always Always (UNSAFE)
21
22 I don't have a particular dog in this fight, but that's not the same
23 thing. --skip-first allows the admin to react to whatever when wrong,
24 try to fix it, and use the skip option only if he decides it's
25 warranted. IOW, it's sort of interactive, tho over time. It appears
26 this option must be added at the beginning, before one knows there'll be
27 an error, and independent of what that error might be.
28
29 (I'm assuming paludis creates a log of what failed, so one can try them
30 again later, after fixing the problem or getting a package update or
31 whatever. If not, that's another difference, as the --skipfirst option
32 allows one to (manually) create such a list, and in fact that's what I
33 use it for when doing an emerge --emptytree after upgrading gcc, for
34 instance. The old packages often still work fine so don't /have/ to be
35 upgraded, but with a list, as they are fixed to work with the new
36 version, they can be retried and if successful, stricken from the list,
37 thus gradually shrinking the number of packages not compatible with the
38 new gcc version.)
39
40 I did see the log where the --skipfirst functionality request was called
41 stupid. I never quite understood why. If the above was already there
42 and considered equivalent, I can see why the request might be called
43 stupid, but nobody bothered to explain that if it was indeed the case, so
44 both the requester and all the others that ended up seeing that IRC log
45 missed out on the real answer. Unfortunately, that sort of "missing out"
46 has become somewhat of a pattern, altho if/when the explanation /does/
47 come, it's usually very well reasoned out. It's just worse than pulling
48 teeth to get it, sometimes, even on the devel list after being asked
49 repeatedly by multiple devs, which is where I see the pattern repeated
50 most often, since as a good admin, I lurk there to see what's coming down
51 the road before I hit it.
56 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
59 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list