From: Harm Geerts <harmgeerts@××××.nl>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Re: Re: libungif and giflib conflict.
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 22:02:45
On Wednesday 02 November 2005 21:54, Duncan wrote:
> Hmm... That --noreplace is a new one on me. I normally simply > > echo <category/pkg> >> /var/lib/portage/world > > That appends the echoed cat/package to the end of the named file, > accomplishing what we are after. The only down side to doing it manually > (using echo) is if you typo. Still, that's not hard to catch and fix, if > depclean still wants to remove the package you (thought you) just added. > Newer versions of portage (don't believe it's in stable portage yet) even > have an emaint command that removes the bad lines for you.
So did I, but now the warning `emerge depclean` produces tells me I can use this. I find this rather nice as it is a lot safer and keeps the world file free from user errors. For example replacing >> with > would be the most destructive user error :P I have portage 2.0.53_rc7 installed and I'm not sure which version introduced --noreplace so it might not be available for everyone yet.
Ed Catmur has written a script that prunes the world file. http://home.jesus.ox.ac.uk/~ecatmur/my-bin/dep This will tune your world to only list leaf packages. But this may not always be desired, use at your own discretion. I've got nothing else to add so I guess this concludes the course "Maintaining Gentoo in a nutshell" by Duncan and Harm Geerts :) -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list