From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Systemd migration: opinion and questions
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 19:54:53
1 Am Wed, 25 Feb 2015 14:31:55 -0500
2 schrieb Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>:
3
4 > On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 2:17 PM, Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de> wrote:
5 > > Am Wed, 25 Feb 2015 10:33:37 +0000 (UTC)
6 > > schrieb Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>:
7 > >
8 > >> But you're king of your own boxes. If you want to run it as a user-level
9 > >> service and have it quit when you logout that user, go right ahead.
10 > >
11 > > Again, it *doesn't* terminate when I log out.
12 >
13 > FYI - this behavior is completely configurable - you can enable or
14 > disable linger for any particular user.
15
16 Ah, then the *-linger commands to loginctl are related to this? However,
17 loginctl says:
18
19 % loginctl show-user 1000
20 UID=1000
21 GID=100
22 Name=marcec
23 Timestamp=Mi 2015-02-25 18:36:59 CET
24 TimestampMonotonic=11724536
25 RuntimePath=/run/user/1000
26 Service=user@××××.service
27 Slice=user-1000.slice
28 State=active
29 IdleHint=no
30 IdleSinceHint=0
31 IdleSinceHintMonotonic=0
32 Linger=no
33
34 Hmm, one more thing to look this up, I guess.
35
36 Ah, I think I found it: I think it's the KillUserProcesses option
37 in logind.conf(5), which defaults to "no";
38
39 KillUserProcesses=
40 Takes a boolean argument. Configures whether the processes of a user
41 should be killed when the user completely logs out (i.e. after the
42 user's last session ended). Defaults to "no".
43
44 Perhaps I'll explicitly configure that, just so an upgrade doesn't accidentally
45 break things.
46
47 Ah, and looking at loginctl(1) now I understand what linger means: it lets you
48 start systemd user sessions at boot, without having to log in (so I was wrong
49 in the MPD sub-thread). Nice!
50
51 [...]
52
53 Greetings
54 --
55 Marc Joliet
56 --
57 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
58 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup