From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Systemd migration: opinion and questions
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 19:31:59
1 On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 2:17 PM, Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Am Wed, 25 Feb 2015 10:33:37 +0000 (UTC)
3 > schrieb Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>:
4 >
5 >> But you're king of your own boxes. If you want to run it as a user-level
6 >> service and have it quit when you logout that user, go right ahead.
7 >
8 > Again, it *doesn't* terminate when I log out.
9
10 FYI - this behavior is completely configurable - you can enable or
11 disable linger for any particular user. I believe you can also use
12 this to do things like kill screen sessions left behind by a user. I
13 think the default is for systemd to not clean up when a user's session
14 ends, but systemd DOES cleanup with a vengeance when a service ends
15 (so if you're like me and spawn background processes from shell
16 scripts in something like cron.daily then make sure you wait somewhere
17 so that systemd doesn't kill everything when your timer script reaches
18 the end - or you can tell systemd to not do cleanup but I don't think
19 that is a great practice).
23 Rich