From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: how to build xen kernel with genkernel 3.4.10?
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 15:00:32
1 David Shen <davidshen84@××××××××××.com> posted
2 53e35fd50906201903j565753edre2148ff57729466d@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Sun, 21 Jun 2009 10:03:51 +0800:
4
5 > According to gentoo bug #120236, genkernel will not directly support
6 > build xen kernel. Does this means I will have to apply the patch in the
7 > bug whenever I want to build my xen kernel with genkernel? My system is
8 > build on LVM, so I need genkernel to build the start up script to active
9 > LVM. Is there a better way to build xen kernel with genkernel?
10
11 That bit about LVM isn't correct. Think about it. LVM isn't a Gentoo
12 invention, while genkernel is a Gentoo app. What do you think Red Hat,
13 Debian and others do to support / on LVM? They aren't going to run
14 genkernel.
15
16 While I specifically chose not to put / (or my backup /) on lvm here
17 precisely to avoid having to generate an initrd or initramfs as I wanted
18 to keep the setup simple, building an initramfs/initrd isn't Gentoo or
19 genkernel specific. There's instructions out there much as there are
20 for / on md/kernel RAID and LVM. If you're working at a sufficiently
21 advanced enough level to need both xen and LVM, and to contemplate doing
22 the xen kernel patches, then I'd suggest you're advanced enough to learn
23 how to manage the kernel, including an initramfs and/or an initrd,
24 without genkernel.
25
26 Meanwhile, patching the kernel is no big deal. I created my own scripts
27 here to automate my own kernel building, after doing it manually for some
28 time. They apply any patches they find in my patch dir as part of the
29 process. I'm now running direct upstream git repository based kernels,
30 occasionally applying patches that haven't yet made it to mainline, but
31 while the scripts do deal with patching, as I chose a system simple
32 enough not to have to worry about an initrd/initramfs, I haven't dealt
33 with that manually and thus haven't expanded the scripts to deal with it
34 either.
35
36 I'd suggest simply biting the bullet. Just as you evidently did in
37 learning how to setup xen and lvm in the first place, and I did with GRUB
38 (I was using LILO until recently), LVM and md/kernel-RAID among other
39 things fairly recently and the kernel itself some years ago here, I'd set
40 aside a bit of time to go thru the documentation, digesting it in enough
41 depth not only well enough to follow some step-by-step, but until I
42 groked the basic process well enough to do decent troubleshooting of any
43 problems that may come up, as necessary. That way, when the automated
44 tools like genkernel fail because you're now out in territory beyond what
45 they're designed to handle, you know the process well enough to deal.
46
47 Just "IMHO. YMMV." =:^)
52 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman