From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] KDE 4.0.4 upgrade, sort of.
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 17:41:40
1 Beso wrote:
2 > 2008/5/28 Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>:
3 >
4 >> Well, I decided to take the plunge and install KDE4 based on the directions
5 >> at http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/kde/kde4.xml.
6 >>
7 >> The installation went well (with a re-install of qt4 due to a missing use
8 >> flag) and it was on to restarting the system so I could start mucking with
9 >> the new interface. And that's where I hit a snag.
10 >>
11 >> In the URL above, the directions say to change /etc/conf.d/xdm, the
12 >> DISPLAYMANAGER variable to kdm-4.0. Every time I tried that, I got just xdm
13 >> instead as a login screen and then, after log in, got my same KDE3.5
14 >> desktop. There are no other directions on this page, so now I don't know
15 >> where to go from here.
16 >>
17 >> What now?
18 >>
19 >> --
20 >> Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar
23 >> Mark Haney
24 >> Sr. Systems Administrator
25 >> ERC Broadband
26 >> (828) 350-2415
27 >>
28 >> Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support
29 >> --
30 >> gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list
34 > you have to add the DYSPLAYMANAGER=kdm-4.0 to a file in /etc/env.d/ better
35 > the local environment file, then BE SURE to have installed the following:
36 > kdebase-startkde-4.0.x and kdebase-meta-4.0.x. after that remember to do an
37 > etc-update (or dispatch-conf or whatever utility you use for updating the
38 > /etc) and then do an env-update and a /etc/init.d/xdm restart. also you
39 > should look if xdm has been overwritten (it has to be since) and if i
40 > remember well also /etc/conf.d/xdm.conf also has changed. then at kdm login
41 > screen select the session type and login. it should work. but e aware that
42 > if you're on xorg-server from git kde4 will most likely don't work.
45 Do I NEED kde-meta-4.0 installed? The HOWTO says otherwise. I'd prefer
46 to have a chance to fall back on to 3.5.9 if I need to.
47
48 And what file in /etc/env.d do I need to add that to? I'm not sure
49 which one I should edit.
53 Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar
56 Mark Haney
57 Sr. Systems Administrator
58 ERC Broadband
59 (828) 350-2415
60
61 Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support
62 --
63 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list