From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] KDE 4.0.4 upgrade, sort of.
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 17:59:35
1 2008/5/28 Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>:
2
3 > Well, I decided to take the plunge and install KDE4 based on the directions
4 > at http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/kde/kde4.xml.
5 >
6 > The installation went well (with a re-install of qt4 due to a missing use
7 > flag) and it was on to restarting the system so I could start mucking with
8 > the new interface. And that's where I hit a snag.
9 >
10 > In the URL above, the directions say to change /etc/conf.d/xdm, the
11 > DISPLAYMANAGER variable to kdm-4.0. Every time I tried that, I got just xdm
12 > instead as a login screen and then, after log in, got my same KDE3.5
13 > desktop. There are no other directions on this page, so now I don't know
14 > where to go from here.
15 >
16 > What now?
17 >
18 > --
19 > Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar
22 > Mark Haney
23 > Sr. Systems Administrator
24 > ERC Broadband
25 > (828) 350-2415
26 >
27 > Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support
28 > --
29 > gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list
33 you have to add the DYSPLAYMANAGER=kdm-4.0 to a file in /etc/env.d/ better
34 the local environment file, then BE SURE to have installed the following:
35 kdebase-startkde-4.0.x and kdebase-meta-4.0.x. after that remember to do an
36 etc-update (or dispatch-conf or whatever utility you use for updating the
37 /etc) and then do an env-update and a /etc/init.d/xdm restart. also you
38 should look if xdm has been overwritten (it has to be since) and if i
39 remember well also /etc/conf.d/xdm.conf also has changed. then at kdm login
40 screen select the session type and login. it should work. but e aware that
41 if you're on xorg-server from git kde4 will most likely don't work.
44 dott. ing. beso