From: Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] PORTAGE_NICENESS
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 10:27:19
1 On Thursday 14 June 2007 18:57:13 Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
2
3 > read /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sched-desing.txt
4
5 "design", not "desing" :-)
6
7 > quote:
8 > - batch scheduling. A significant proportion of computing-intensive tasks
9 > benefit from batch-scheduling, where timeslices are long and processes
10 > are roundrobin scheduled. The new scheduler does such batch-scheduling
11 > of the lowest priority tasks - so nice +19 jobs will get
12 > 'batch-scheduled' automatically. With this scheduler, nice +19 jobs
13 > are in essence SCHED_IDLE, from an interactiveness point of view.
14
15 That's an interesting description - thanks for the pointer.
16
17 The kernel includes three schedulers: anticipatory, deadline and (the
18 default) CFQ, whereas the author refers only to "old" and "new" schedulers.
19 I wonder which of the features he describes are common to all three. I also
20 wonder which kernel version introduced the "new" scheduler. I have a reason
21 for this interest, which I intend to describe in a separate thread.
24 Rgds
25 Peter Humphrey
26 Linux Counter 5290, Aug 93
27 --