From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: KDE 4.0.4 upgrade, sort of.
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 18:24:12
1 2008/5/31 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>:
2
3 > Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> posted
4 > d257c3560805310853j7bd01489pa5b74f1d69ae0383@××××××××××.com, excerpted
5 > below, on Sat, 31 May 2008 15:53:37 +0000:
6 >
7 > > well, firefox 4 would go with webkit and qt4. there's an announce from
8 > > the firefox project director. gecko is unmantainable and veryyyy slow,
9 > > so the only one who will continue to use it would be iexploder. also the
10 > > new qt4 utils and the ability to build an app that runs cross platform
11 > > with much less work would be quite interesting. and now maybe also
12 > > openoffice would think about switching to it.
13 >
14 > That'd be interesting. Safari/Konqueror/Firefox/Qt/Qtopia all using the
15 > same webkit core. That'd pressure MS even more effectively. I wonder
16 > what the chances of getting Opera online with it too, might be? They've
17 > stayed proprietary, but with that sort of open source union going on, I
18 > could see them taking advantage of the LGPL renderer if it might have
19 > some chance of turning the tables on MS. They could still keep
20 > everything else proprietary.
23 well, qt and qtopia are on webkit, safari was the forewarder on it, opera
24 too maybe will emulate it, as it does now, since its motor is quite good
25 now, but has less compatibility with sites that don't follow the web
26 standards... damn that devs that still create sites not following
27 standards!!!!
30 > >> Hopefully klibido follows to KDE4. It'd be a shame to see it stuck on
31 > >> KDE3, after all the work that has gone into it and as sparse on the
32 > >> ground as real binary news harvesters seem to be.
33 > >>
34 > > i really hope so. it's good to have it around.
37 > I don't know if you've been to the site recently. I just checked.
38 > Nothing since 2006. It may be worth joining the user list if you haven't
39 > already and dropping and inquiry. If that doesn't work, contact him
40 > directly and see. That assumes the question hasn't been asked and
41 > answered and is in a list archive on gmane or something, already. (Just
42 > checked gmane, don't see it there.)
45 on the klibido site?! maybe its devs have gone with gtk+ and pan.... :-(
48 > > it's a little too complicated to me. i'm usually using pan just for
49 > > browsing the newsgroups and read some text articles.
52 > So you're not too serious about the downloading thing, like every day or
53 > whatever, only maybe once a week or so, when you get time? I can see
54 > that, and in fact don't do a lot of binary downloading here, either, tho
55 > when I do, I tend to get REALLY serious about it for awhile. Sort of
56 > like Charles with developing pan, I guess. I'll go awhile without, then
57 > get REALLY serious and go to town on it for awhile, before I get too busy
58 > again...
59 >
60 > Yeah, in that case, for simple browsing and pick and choose here and
61 > there downloading, most of the techniques I mentioned aren't particularly
62 > useful.
65 yep, that was quite the point. it could be useful if i would have to put
66 some cron jobs over big serious downloads, but for that i'd chose a terminal
67 nzb capable and do some scripts on it and cron.
71 dott. ing. beso