From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] First Impressions
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 20:56:37
1 On Thursday 28 September 2006 15:17, Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org wrote
2 about 'Re: [gentoo-amd64] First Impressions':
3 > "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net> skribis:
4 > > On Thursday 28 September 2006 14:16, Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org
5 > > wrote
6 > >
7 > > about 'Re: [gentoo-amd64] First Impressions':
8 > > > "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net> skribis:
9 > > > > It's wrong-headed to deride or discourage users for using the
10 > > > > features of their compiler when those functions are not erroneous.
11 > > > > Instead, you should be leaning on the developers to fix the
12 > > > > erroneous code.
13 > > > This looks like a false dichotomy to me.
14 > > A piece of code it either conforms to a C/C++ standard
15 > > the compiler implements or not.
16 > Not that dichotomy, but the one that says it is wrongheaded to
17 > discourage users (who may have no interest in encountering or fixing
18 > bugs) from doing things that expose bugs, because developers should be
19 > bothered to fix their code. You can do both.
20
21 Ooooh, sorry, yeah. That's true. Although, rather than saying "don't
22 use -O3" to the user, I think it's better just to replace -O3 with -O2 in
23 the ebuild until upstream fixes things. I just don't think the user
24 should ever feel breakage is their "fault" because they used advertised
25 features of their compiler and headed the associated warnings.
26
27 Now, I have to problem with developers closing some bug opened by a ricer
28 out there that's added -ffast-math to their CFLAGS as WONTFIX/INVALID
29 since it's not really a problem. All the parts provided by Gentoo
30 (ebuild, source, compiler, portage, etc.) all behaving properly. It's
31 just that, just like the warning says, programs WILL break
32 under -ffast-math.
33
34 > Indeed, there aren’t many fields of ‘production’ in which end users
35 > ought to be encouraged to try things that expose flaws in design or
36 > manufacture.
37
38 I disagree. I want to know about those flaws, and I want the manufactures
39 to fix them -- which is why I like Consumer Reports so much. :)
40
41 I encourage people to test the tensile strength of their Windows CDs and
42 let me know at what point they break. I'll collect and publish
43 statistics. ;)
46 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
47 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
48 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
49 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh