From: Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Optimizations (was Re: [gentoo-amd64] First Impressions)
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 21:22:12
1 "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net> skribis:
2 > Now, I have to problem with developers closing some bug opened by a ricer
3 > out there that's added -ffast-math to their CFLAGS as WONTFIX/INVALID
4 > since it's not really a problem. All the parts provided by Gentoo
5 > (ebuild, source, compiler, portage, etc.) all behaving properly. It's
6 > just that, just like the warning says, programs WILL break
7 > under -ffast-math.
8
9 I have to disagree with this strongly, because -ffast-math means you
10 want code that violates the IEEE floating point standard.
11
12 > > Indeed, there aren’t many fields of ‘production’ in which end users
13 > > ought to be encouraged to try things that expose flaws in design or
14 > > manufacture.
15 >
16 > I disagree. I want to know about those flaws, and I want the manufactures
17 > to fix them -- which is why I like Consumer Reports so much. :)
18
19 It’s one thing to read Consumer Reports and have it say your SUV rolls
20 over easily, and another to drive in a manner likely to roll your SUV
21 over. It’s even worse to sort of hold SUV drivers hostage by
22 encouraging them to roll over their SUVs unless and until the
23 manufacturer fixes the SUV. People should be encouraged to drive their
24 dangerous vehicles safely, and so should users be encouraged to set
25 their CFLAGS safely.
28 Barry.SCHWARTZ at chemoelectric.org http://chemoelectric.org
29 Free stuff / Senpagaj varoj: http://crudfactory.com (PDF)
30 'Democracies don't war; democracies are peaceful countries.' - Bush
31 (http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/12/20051219-2.html)