From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: KDE 4.0.4 upgrade, sort of.
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 11:40:52
1 Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> posted
2 d257c3560805310208o5e6df42as66e855ae009f937c@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Sat, 31 May 2008 09:08:38 +0000:
4
5 > 2008/5/31 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>:
6
7 >> So seeing someone that's actually using pkgcore is helpful. =8^)
8
9 > does pkgcore has more features than portage?! i seem to remember trying
10 > it about one year ago and it had the same portage features and almost
11 > the same drawbacks, so i've decided to stay with portage that time.
12 > (this is just a question from an ignorant about pkgcore and doesn't want
13 > in any way to start another flame).
14
15 Good question. I'd love to see a decent discussion of pkgcore, but
16 please start a new thread for it. A link to a forums thread on the
17 subject, or maybe a users-list thread (web archive, gmane or gentoo,
18 probably), may be useful to get it started and avoid a bunch of repeat
19 questions and answers.
20
21 > the same goes for me, a kde user. i really need some gnome apps like pan
22 > or firefox and just for it i need a big deal of gnome deps. and you
23 > should understand what i'm saying, since you're also an experienced pan
24 > users.
25
26 Well, to be fair, pan and firefox/iceweasel only require GTK+ and perhaps
27 a couple misc dependencies that GNOME also needs. They certainly don't
28 require all of GNOME or even most of its core. I know, as I have both of
29 them merged here, but don't have GNOME merged. That's like saying
30 anything depending on qt depends on KDE.
31
32 Every so often I've toyed with the idea of switching to klibido, maybe
33 knode or something else for text (thus my excitement when I read
34 something implying klibido was a whole substitute for pan, now, seems
35 not, unfortunately), unmerging pan, hoping to be able to kill GTK+ with
36 it. However, if iceweasel/firefox needs it as I think it does now that
37 you mention it, that's not likely to work unless I decide I can also live
38 without iceweasel... which actually might be reasonable once again if
39 webkit continues to grow in popularity. The only thing I've /really/
40 needed it for the last few years is doing taxes, and if khtml/webkit
41 eventually works properly for that...
42
43 > about the db issue with klibido, getting back to db-4.5 fixed it.
44 > and no, klibido doesn't support posting.
45
46 Too bad. =8^) I had my hopes up there for a bit.
47
48 > i'll try to look into it after
49 > i understand well the package, and if noone takes it i'll take on to
50 > port it to qt4 and cmake build system. i'm now starting to work on qt4
51 > and this could be an interesting challenge and could help me improve my
52 > skills with it.
53
54 Hopefully klibido follows to KDE4. It'd be a shame to see it stuck on
55 KDE3, after all the work that has gone into it and as sparse on the
56 ground as real binary news harvesters seem to be.
57
58 >> Doing an emerge --pretend paludis, it doesn't have /that/
59 >> unreasonable a list of new merges, and a good share of the ones it
60 >> /does/ have are simply null-package virtuals, already filled by newer
61 >> gcc versions[.]
62
63 > and that some tools like pcre (always needed by paludis) is now not
64 > needed only by it. as i've said before, mainly xorg has pushed in these
65 > deps (of course the use flags also helped a lot).
66
67 For pcre, certain other packages have been using it for awhile. pan
68 does, and I it, so it didn't show up on my dependency list. (You
69 mentioned xorg, it depends on it too now? I guess it really /is/ getting
70 around! I wouldn't have known since I have it merged for pan.) Point
71 about eye of the beholder... But based on a post (yours I think) I see
72 since I posted the grandparent, it seems the newer gcc does indeed take
73 care of what might have been quite a stack of deps.
74
75 > also, i'm now trying to do as you've said with pan and the cached
76 > articles, but i find it somehow long to do. maybe it's because i'm not
77 > used to it. so for the moment being i've gone back with klibido.
78
79 Well, it's not that it's longer... it takes that time to download the
80 posts either way... but it does seem to take longer since you download
81 them all before starting to work on them.
82
83 There's to it tho that make it not seem so bad.
84
85 First, depending on what you are downloading and from where (groups), it
86 may be possible to train yourself to setup a smaller group download
87 first, then the larger group, scheduled after the small group. For some
88 things (mainly single part binaries), that works reasonably well, as the
89 shorter group may be mostly downloaded by the time you get thru sorting
90 thru and deleting the stuff you do NOT need to download on the larger
91 group, then scheduling the rest of it for download. That way you can
92 switch to the shorter group, and with it mostly or all downloaded, go
93 right to work sorting and saving what downloaded. If it works out right,
94 by the time you finish that, the larger group (or some portions thereof,
95 see below) will be done.
96
97 Second, you can download text groups first, then binaries, then read and
98 reply to the text groups giving the binaries a chance to get partly done
99 before you switch back to them.
100
101 Third, there's nothing saying you have to download the whole group at
102 once. In the first round (with only headers), at least on some groups,
103 you can download samples, preview stills or clips, then decide if you
104 want to download the whole series. If not, delete the series right there
105 and go on. If you want to download it, setup the download to cache right
106 then and there, and go on. By the time you've worked thru the group and
107 setup the last of the downloads, the first will hopefully be done or
108 close to it. As the downloads to cache complete, the icon will change
109 from download to in-cache, so you can see what messages were in jobs that
110 have already completed downloading. Thus, you can go thru and process
111 the downloaded series while others are still downloading. Of course, you
112 may have to flip the sort order between subject/author/date/scored a bit
113 to get the series together and make it easy to go thru them, but a binary
114 news junkie will probably be accustomed to doing some of that already.
115
116 Fourth, while it can be hard to discipline yourself to do so, at least
117 initially, you can also train yourself to setup the new downloads at the
118 END of your working session, before you go to work or to bed or do family
119 or friend stuff or whatever. Then it downloads while you are doing
120 something else, and you come back and have everything nicely ready for
121 your NEXT session. Do your sorting and saving and whatever (without
122 checking for new messages yet), delete the now garbage headers and
123 cache, /then/ grab new headers, select what you want to download deleting
124 the rest, set it downloading, and your session is finished. Again, when
125 you get thru sleeping or working or whatever, you'll have another fresh
126 batch of downloads already stored locally. No waiting for the downloads
127 to finish, as you let the computer do that while you're away doing other
128 things! Of course, this works better on a desktop you leave where it is,
129 than on a laptop you disconnect to take with you when you are finished.
130 Still, even with a laptop that's normally on the go with you, you gotta
131 sleep sometime, and you might as well let it be downloading while you do.
132 Admittedly, tho, this takes discipline, as once you decide you want the
133 files, it's hard to wait until the next session to actually go thru them.
138 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
141 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list