From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: KDE 4.0.4 upgrade, sort of.
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 15:53:43
1 2008/5/31 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>:
2
3 > Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> posted
4 > d257c3560805310208o5e6df42as66e855ae009f937c@××××××××××.com, excerpted
5 > below, on Sat, 31 May 2008 09:08:38 +0000:
6 > > the same goes for me, a kde user. i really need some gnome apps like pan
7 > > or firefox and just for it i need a big deal of gnome deps. and you
8 > > should understand what i'm saying, since you're also an experienced pan
9 > > users.
10 >
11 > Well, to be fair, pan and firefox/iceweasel only require GTK+ and perhaps
12 > a couple misc dependencies that GNOME also needs. They certainly don't
13 > require all of GNOME or even most of its core. I know, as I have both of
14 > them merged here, but don't have GNOME merged. That's like saying
15 > anything depending on qt depends on KDE.
16 >
17 > Every so often I've toyed with the idea of switching to klibido, maybe
18 > knode or something else for text (thus my excitement when I read
19 > something implying klibido was a whole substitute for pan, now, seems
20 > not, unfortunately), unmerging pan, hoping to be able to kill GTK+ with
21 > it. However, if iceweasel/firefox needs it as I think it does now that
22 > you mention it, that's not likely to work unless I decide I can also live
23 > without iceweasel... which actually might be reasonable once again if
24 > webkit continues to grow in popularity. The only thing I've /really/
25 > needed it for the last few years is doing taxes, and if khtml/webkit
26 > eventually works properly for that...
29 well, firefox 4 would go with webkit and qt4. there's an announce from the
30 firefox project director. gecko is unmantainable and veryyyy slow, so the
31 only one who will continue to use it would be iexploder. also the new qt4
32 utils and the ability to build an app that runs cross platform with much
33 less work would be quite interesting. and now maybe also openoffice would
34 think about switching to it.
37 > > i'll try to look into it after
38 > > i understand well the package, and if noone takes it i'll take on to
39 > > port it to qt4 and cmake build system. i'm now starting to work on qt4
40 > > and this could be an interesting challenge and could help me improve my
41 > > skills with it.
42 >
43 > Hopefully klibido follows to KDE4. It'd be a shame to see it stuck on
44 > KDE3, after all the work that has gone into it and as sparse on the
45 > ground as real binary news harvesters seem to be.
48 i really hope so. it's good to have it around.
51 > >> Doing an emerge --pretend paludis, it doesn't have /that/
52 > >> unreasonable a list of new merges, and a good share of the ones it
53 > >> /does/ have are simply null-package virtuals, already filled by newer
54 > >> gcc versions[.]
55 >
56 > > and that some tools like pcre (always needed by paludis) is now not
57 > > needed only by it. as i've said before, mainly xorg has pushed in these
58 > > deps (of course the use flags also helped a lot).
59 >
60 > For pcre, certain other packages have been using it for awhile. pan
61 > does, and I it, so it didn't show up on my dependency list. (You
62 > mentioned xorg, it depends on it too now? I guess it really /is/ getting
63 > around! I wouldn't have known since I have it merged for pan.) Point
64 > about eye of the beholder... But based on a post (yours I think) I see
65 > since I posted the grandparent, it seems the newer gcc does indeed take
66 > care of what might have been quite a stack of deps.
69 yep, gcc or xorg. i don't remember which of them, but the 4.2.x branch
70 surely pushes quite some deps needed by paludis. i'm not sure if xorg do
71 pushes some too, since i've done the emerge paludis after the 2 emerge -e
72 system and the xorg emerge.
75 > > also, i'm now trying to do as you've said with pan and the cached
76 > > articles, but i find it somehow long to do. maybe it's because i'm not
77 > > used to it. so for the moment being i've gone back with klibido.
80 > Well, it's not that it's longer... it takes that time to download the
81 > posts either way... but it does seem to take longer since you download
82 > them all before starting to work on them.
83 >
84 > There's to it tho that make it not seem so bad.
85 >
86 > First, depending on what you are downloading and from where (groups), it
87 > may be possible to train yourself to setup a smaller group download
88 > first, then the larger group, scheduled after the small group. For some
89 > things (mainly single part binaries), that works reasonably well, as the
90 > shorter group may be mostly downloaded by the time you get thru sorting
91 > thru and deleting the stuff you do NOT need to download on the larger
92 > group, then scheduling the rest of it for download. That way you can
93 > switch to the shorter group, and with it mostly or all downloaded, go
94 > right to work sorting and saving what downloaded. If it works out right,
95 > by the time you finish that, the larger group (or some portions thereof,
96 > see below) will be done.
97 >
98 > Second, you can download text groups first, then binaries, then read and
99 > reply to the text groups giving the binaries a chance to get partly done
100 > before you switch back to them.
101 >
102 > Third, there's nothing saying you have to download the whole group at
103 > once. In the first round (with only headers), at least on some groups,
104 > you can download samples, preview stills or clips, then decide if you
105 > want to download the whole series. If not, delete the series right there
106 > and go on. If you want to download it, setup the download to cache right
107 > then and there, and go on. By the time you've worked thru the group and
108 > setup the last of the downloads, the first will hopefully be done or
109 > close to it. As the downloads to cache complete, the icon will change
110 > from download to in-cache, so you can see what messages were in jobs that
111 > have already completed downloading. Thus, you can go thru and process
112 > the downloaded series while others are still downloading. Of course, you
113 > may have to flip the sort order between subject/author/date/scored a bit
114 > to get the series together and make it easy to go thru them, but a binary
115 > news junkie will probably be accustomed to doing some of that already.
116 >
117 > Fourth, while it can be hard to discipline yourself to do so, at least
118 > initially, you can also train yourself to setup the new downloads at the
119 > END of your working session, before you go to work or to bed or do family
120 > or friend stuff or whatever. Then it downloads while you are doing
121 > something else, and you come back and have everything nicely ready for
122 > your NEXT session. Do your sorting and saving and whatever (without
123 > checking for new messages yet), delete the now garbage headers and
124 > cache, /then/ grab new headers, select what you want to download deleting
125 > the rest, set it downloading, and your session is finished. Again, when
126 > you get thru sleeping or working or whatever, you'll have another fresh
127 > batch of downloads already stored locally. No waiting for the downloads
128 > to finish, as you let the computer do that while you're away doing other
129 > things! Of course, this works better on a desktop you leave where it is,
130 > than on a laptop you disconnect to take with you when you are finished.
131 > Still, even with a laptop that's normally on the go with you, you gotta
132 > sleep sometime, and you might as well let it be downloading while you do.
133 > Admittedly, tho, this takes discipline, as once you decide you want the
134 > files, it's hard to wait until the next session to actually go thru them.
137 it's a little too complicated to me. i'm usually using pan just for browsing
138 the newsgroups and read some text articles. what i'd like to download i'd
139 take the nzb and use klibido. the problems with klibido stopping to work
140 sometimes, drives me mad and continues to bind me to pan, since it's the
141 only other nzb capable around with a decent interface, else i'd have already
142 switched fully to knode+klibido.
146 dott. ing. beso