From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: quadcore
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 00:34:33
1 "Wil Reichert" <wil.reichert@×××××.com> posted
2 7a329d910811260947o7628f129x2ffab56ad93bbf2a@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Wed, 26 Nov 2008 09:47:25 -0800:
4
5 > On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 9:19 AM, Bob Sanders <rsanders@×××.com> wrote:
6 >> Sebastian Klüsener, mused, then expounded:
7 >>> I'd change that to 'march=amdfam10' or 'march=native' if your gcc is a
8 >>> recent one. Recent means >=4.3.
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >> True. I'm running stable - 4.1.2, thus that option isn't available.
12 >
13 > Native was added in gcc 4.2. I've got a system running running all
14 > stable packages with just that version of gcc unmasked, its been around
15 > quite a while now & most everything in portage has no problem with it.
16
17 It's also worth noting that due to Gentoo's gcc slotting, one can use
18 gcc-config to switch between gcc versions. Thus using a new and still
19 masked gcc isn't as much of a problem as it might be, since you can use
20 the new version for most things and switch to the old version for
21 anything that's still broken with the new version. When an
22 emerge --emptytree @system @world works just using the new version, you
23 can then unmerge the old version.
24
25 I've done this over several gcc upgrades, now.
26
27 It works well for C programs, but there can be issues with C++
28 occasionally, since gcc provides libstdc++ which must remain compatible.
29 Over the versions I've done this with, it has been mostly compatible, but
30 not always 100%. At one point some stuff in KDE would break if I was
31 switched to the older gcc, since I had compiled it with the newer gcc,
32 with a mostly compatible libstdc++, but one that added a few new
33 functions. So anything that used the new functions would break when
34 switched to the old gcc and thus the old libstdc++. But most of KDE
35 would work, so I'd switch to the old version just long enough to compile
36 whatever package wouldn't yet compile with the new gcc, and wouldn't use
37 the KDE stuff that was broken (basically anything having to do with the
38 web, IDR whether it was just the web, or all Internet functionality)
39 while I did so. Then I'd switch back to the newer gcc, and everything
40 would work again.
45 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman