From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] OT - Which is better CF or thumb drive?
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 18:25:37
1 Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > BTW: UIDs and/or volume labels are the way to go if you want to avoid
3 > problems with changing device names.
6 This won't help you much with booting but for any other partitions you
7 can always use /dev/disk/by-uuid/#### or one of the other directories
8 under /dev/disk to help uniquely identify disks. Another trick I've
9 used that works really well is to use LVM (assuming you don't use the
10 removable drive with other operating systems). LVM can figure out which
11 device is which by label - ditto for software raid.
12
13 For booting I think your only option would be some kind of initrd as
14 already suggested, or the equivalent in linuxBIOS if you're really
15 daring - unless you can predict how drives get identified on each boot.
16 You might be able to do something tricky like putting a small mirrored
17 boot partition on each drive so that it doesn't matter which one boots
18 (I already do that with two drives just for redundancy, but I guess if
19 you're clever you might be able to extend this). I'm not sure how far
20 you'd get with that with more than two drives - I don't think mda
21 supports more than 2-drive mirrors, and grub can't handle anything other
22 than simple mirroring).
23 --
24 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list