From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] OT - Which is better CF or thumb drive?
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 18:02:33
1 On Wed, 28 May 2008 01:14:01 +0800
2 "P.V.Anthony" <pvantony@×××××××××××.sg> wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > So far I have building servers for internal use, using Compact Flash
7 > on IDE connector. Using ext3 file system. Only about a year of use.
8 > So far it is great.
9
10 Ext3? You know that journalling will cause additional wear? I'd use
11 Ext2 but it might depend on your use-cases which will happen more
12 frequently: data loss through worn-out flash memory or data loss
13 through corrupted filesystems after a crash.
14 >
15 > Just got a simple cheap Dell tower server with AMD opteron chip. The
16 > motherboard has no IDE connector. I think more and more motherboards
17 > are coming with only SATA connectors.
18 >
19 > The good thing is that the motherboard has a internal usb connector.
20 > That means that a 4Gb thumb drive can be connected onto the
21 > motherboard internally.
22 >
23 > Now I have a choice of getting a SATA to CF adaptor or just a thumb
24 > drive. Which way should I go? Thumb Drive or CF?
25
26 Hmm, I found thumb drives to be cheaper than CF and faster as long as
27 you don't use those really expensive CFs which support DMA. On the
28 other hand, if you use those DMA-enabled CFs, you might get a better
29 transfer rate and less CPU-utilization because USB relies on the CPU
30 for many actions (afaik). I've never tried it, though.
33 > Second problem.
34 >
35 > I loved using CF on IDE because of the the drive is called hda instead
36 > of sda. This way it is very easy to call on the hda to boot up without
37 > confusing with the data drives on the SATA.
38 >
39 > Need to find a way to fix the naming of the drives regardless of how
40 > many drives are connected. I always had the problem of the names of
41 > drives changing when one of the drives is removed and then rebooted.
42 > It will try to boot up from the wrong drive. If anyone knows of the
43 > solution, please share.
44
45 There was a topic "boot Gentoo from USB key" on this list, recently
46 (started on 08/04/30). You can look into it at gmane.org. Basic idea was
47 to use an initramfs-script to determine the root-partition by its UID.
48
49 BTW: UIDs and/or volume labels are the way to go if you want to avoid
50 problems with changing device names.
51
52 Hope this helps
53 Florian Philipp