From: "P.V.Anthony" <pvantony@×××××××××××.sg>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] OT - Which is better CF or thumb drive?
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 17:14:09
1 Hi,
2
3 So far I have building servers for internal use, using Compact Flash on
4 IDE connector. Using ext3 file system. Only about a year of use. So far
5 it is great.
6
7 Just got a simple cheap Dell tower server with AMD opteron chip. The
8 motherboard has no IDE connector. I think more and more motherboards are
9 coming with only SATA connectors.
10
11 The good thing is that the motherboard has a internal usb connector.
12 That means that a 4Gb thumb drive can be connected onto the motherboard
13 internally.
14
15 Now I have a choice of getting a SATA to CF adaptor or just a thumb
16 drive. Which way should I go? Thumb Drive or CF?
17
18 Second problem.
19
20 I loved using CF on IDE because of the the drive is called hda instead
21 of sda. This way it is very easy to call on the hda to boot up without
22 confusing with the data drives on the SATA.
23
24 Need to find a way to fix the naming of the drives regardless of how
25 many drives are connected. I always had the problem of the names of
26 drives changing when one of the drives is removed and then rebooted. It
27 will try to boot up from the wrong drive. If anyone knows of the
28 solution, please share.
29
30 P.V.Anthony
31 --